Pregnant Or Not?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mrsaltmiller

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping you all can help me.    I'm just trying to figure out if my platy really is pregnant.  She's a yellow mickey mouse platy.  She certainly looks pregnant, and has for a couple of weeks. She's been acting strange - hiding at the top of the tank by the heater/filter and hiding in a cave, then she comes out for a bit and goes back.  She's still eating like she normally does and she's pooping normally. (I appreciate the other feedback on a post I wrote yesterday). She seems to be squaring out, but I don't see a gravid spot, or, it's more like I don't know if I can or not since i'm not sure exactly what to look for. Also, I don't see black dots for eyes, but I've heard that sometimes you can't see those?  She's so light in color I would think I'd be able to see them.  So basically I have been waiting for this fish to have fry, and now I'm wondering if she's really pregnant.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Attachments

• fish 3 12-30-14.jpg
    fish 3 12-30-14.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 105
  • fish 3.jpg
    fish 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 107
  • fishcloseup-001.jpg
    fishcloseup-001.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 133
She is probably pregnant because of how round she is. I breed guppies and none of mine show eyes or gravid spots. Some of their other relatives did but none of my current ones do. She appears pregnant, but she may be fat. How many males are in the tank and how many females. Other tank mates? 

We have 4 female platys, including her.  One male platy, though for some reason the male has no interest in the other 3 females - just the yellow mickey mouse (isn't that strange?).  And 3 zebra danios - I don't know what sex they are.  A snail and a little water frog.  

If you can I would get another male, just to make sure they do become pregnant. The danios are pretty aggressive toward fry. I had one and he ate over 30 of those little guys. 

Is it only today that he is showing interest or it has always just been her? 

Thanks for the advice.  I'll get another male soon.  He's always only been interested in her. I've seen them mate several times - he doesn't leave her alone. I thought the other females would stop him from harassing her but he doesn't have any interest in the others.  Now she's sitting on the rocks at the bottom of the tank.  She swam a little bit before and she ate and now is sitting on the rocks again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back