Pregnant molly in breeder net

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Panadalover93

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a pregnant Dalmatian molly.
I have no idea how far along she is.
But i wanted to know is it okay to keep her in a breeder net form now till she gives birth with some floating plants?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 63
No, this is not advisable. Mollies should not be confined like this. Have a good thick layer of floating plants and fry will retreat into that, and you can easily scoop them out if you want to rear them in other tanks.

A few days ago i had a molly who gave birth. I didn’t know untill i saw the rest of the tank mates chasing some tint black dot. Upon closer look it dawned on me that she gave birth . I tried to save them i was only able to find 5 and out of the 5 only 1 survived . I have plenty of dense plants like cabomba however for some reason or another they were all eaten. Unless there are some who are hiding and i just dont know it.
This is why im trying to avoid this issue with this molly . Also is it normal for mother molly to become sluggish and swim alone in a corner and look odd after birth? Appetite okay but something is off

If you feed the fish more often, they will be less likely to eat the babies. Assuming the tan is cycled (the filter is established), you can feed the adults 3-5 times a day until she gives birth and for a few days after she gives birth. This will keep the adults full and should stop them eating the babies.

Make sure you do more water changes when feeding more often to compensate for the extra food going into the tank.

If you feed the fish more often, they will be less likely to eat the babies. Assuming the tan is cycled (the filter is established), you can feed the adults 3-5 times a day until she gives birth and for a few days after she gives birth. This will keep the adults full and should stop them eating the babies.

Make sure you do more water changes when feeding more often to compensate for the extra food going into the tank.
Wont over feeding cause swim bladder issues?

Our Dalmatian Mollie has about 20 new fry and the swim around like they own the tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back