Pregnant Mollie..?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kamdavid

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Our Dalmatian Mollie is clearly pregnant. As what we believe. She is currently staying next to the heater. Not doing much swimming anymore, does eat when food is placed in the tank. I will include pictures in this thread, and I hope someone can verify, and maybe give me a timeline as when we can expect fry.

Attachments

• Pregnant1.jpg
    Pregnant1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 64
  • pregnant2.jpg
    pregnant2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 67
  • pregnant3.jpg
    pregnant3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Pregnant4.jpg
    Pregnant4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Pregnant5.jpg
    Pregnant5.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 69
You can probably expect fry sometime between today and the next week :)

You can probably expect fry sometime between today and the next week :)
I have read a lot that you should not separate pregnant fish, due to stress. Would you recommend leaving her in the tank or separating her? She is being chased by the male quite often.

I have read a lot that you should not separate pregnant fish, due to stress. Would you recommend leaving her in the tank or separating her? She is being chased by the male quite often.
I would leave her in and if possible add lots of plants and decorations for her to hide in, especially floating plants. Floating plants will also give the fry a place to hide.
If you have a 5-10gallon tank already cycled you could move her using a cup instead of a net, but leaving her in would be your best bet. How many female do you have to one male? If the male is chasing it would be better to remove him and leave her :)

I would leave her in and if possible add lots of plants and decorations for her to hide in, especially floating plants. Floating plants will also give the fry a place to hide.
If you have a 5-10gallon tank already cycled you could move her using a cup instead of a net, but leaving her in would be your best bet. How many female do you have to one male? If the male is chasing it would be better to remove him and leave her :)
I have 3 female, 1 male. The entire tank is planted with live plants. I will include a pic. I don't have another five to ten gallon tank setup currently. I only have a one gallon for fry.

Attachments

• TOTM2.jpg
    TOTM2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 85
Just saying if you want high fry survival I would separate them once they are born because that angel will happily eat some fry
Yes, we are currently watching as much as possible. She has stopped her normal swimming, and is staying by the heater a lot or staying at the top of the tank. We have a fry tank setup and just waiting for her to deliver. Just trying to wait patiently.

When I had my mollies they would always and I mean always breed during lights off. My guppies do too. I would think it would give birth during the night too

Yes, we are currently watching as much as possible. She has stopped her normal swimming, and is staying by the heater a lot or staying at the top of the tank. We have a fry tank setup and just waiting for her to deliver. Just trying to wait patiently.
I feel you. I usually sit in front of the tank for hours waiting so I can save the fry right away. Make sure the other tank inhabitants have been fed recently so they wont be as inclined to go for a tasty little snack

When I had my mollies they would always and I mean always breed during lights off. My guppies do too. I would think it would give birth during the night too
Interesting mine usually did around 3-4 in the afternoon

I feel you. I usually sit in front of the tank for hours waiting so I can save the fry right away. Make sure the other tank inhabitants have been fed recently so they wont be as inclined to go for a tasty little snack
Ok fed them this morning, feeding again right now. But these fish are ALWAYS hungry haha. Pregnant momma doesn't seem too concerned about eating right now...

Looks like you have good hiding places and looks like large gravel which give them more places to hide. I agree with feeding them, less chance of eating the fry. I had black mollies and in just a short time (couple of months) my 20 gallon tank was over run with fry. I would use a cup to move the fry not a net if you can. I had lots of floating plants that they would go into just like my tetra fry do now. If you lose some do not worry, they are like rabbits more will come.

Looks like you have good hiding places and looks like large gravel which give them more places to hide. I agree with feeding them, less chance of eating the fry. I had black mollies and in just a short time (couple of months) my 20 gallon tank was over run with fry. I would use a cup to move the fry not a net if you can. I had lots of floating plants that they would go into just like my tetra fry do now. If you lose some do not worry, they are like rabbits more will come.
Not too worried about losing fry, just enjoy the lifecycle and bringing baby fish into the world. We have plenty of options for the babies once they are born and grown. Yes plenty of areas for the fry to hide. Plants driftwood. Tomorrow adding rock caves. Pictures of the caves to come tomorrow.

Not too worried about losing fry, just enjoy the lifecycle and bringing baby fish into the world. We have plenty of options for the babies once they are born and grown. Yes plenty of areas for the fry to hide. Plants driftwood. Tomorrow adding rock caves. Pictures of the caves to come tomorrow.
I feel the same way, I still get excited when I see a new tetra fry, I have to have everything just right for my tetra to breed and for their eggs to survive in a community tank. I currently have 3 fry, there is still one more somewhere in my 55 gallon tank. Enjoy your fry and good luck. :good:

if the male is harassing the female, remove him and leave the female where she is.

add lots of plants to the tank for the female and babies to hide in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back