Pregnant Least Killi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alexp08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well i just bought some least killis off ebay and one came pregnant! Well my main question is, should i place it in a breeding net? how do i know when it is about to give birth, and what do i do with the fry?

If conditions are suitable most forms are not difficult to breed with eggs deposited among live plants, aquatic mosses, synthetic mops, etc., while some breeders prefer to use a small tray of peat which is removed and dried post-spawning. Eggs are best removed on a daily basis as the adults will eat any they find. Under water they normally hatch within 14-21 days depending on temperature while 3-4 weeks tends to be the ‘standard’ period of drying. The fry are free-swimming almost immediately and can be offered Artemia nauplii, microworm and similar as first foods.
These fish will lay eggs in plants and then you must dry the eggs for a period of time, then resubmerge them in the water to start development of fry. It is not actually a "livebearer" since it deposits eggs instead of becoming pregnant with fry.

Least killifish are actually Heterandria formosa, a livebearer.

They don't breed like guppies; they don't have one batch of fry a month but the female carries fry in every stage of gestation and gives birth to a few fry every day. Because of this it is not a good idea to use a breeding net or she'd be in there permanently.
Are they the only fish in the tank? If they are, just leave the female to give birth in the tank. But if they are in with other fish, I'd be inclined to set up a nursery tank for the female to give birth in.

Edited for spelling!

Currently in the tank is 9 least killis and a very pregnant fancy guppy

What kind of killi is this??

A killifish is any of various oviparous (egg-laying) cyprinodontiform fish.
Not live bearer according to dictionary.

Common names aren't necessarily accurate. Google least killifish and every hit says Heterandria formosa, a livebearer. The profile of these fish, including the common name, is here

Alex, that fish profile above says the adults don't usually harm the fry (they are very large for the size of the adult fish) but I would worry about the guppy, she might eat them. Maybe find another home for the guppy?

The Least killifish is Heterandria formosa.
while it's called a killi it's as already staed a livebearer and give birth to live fry every few days.
I never trapped mine, just let them to on with it and they thrived.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back