Pregnant guppys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ryan090

Reaction score
Just wandering how many fry we should expect from our pregnant guppys ?
We have had 2 guppy give birth so far, the one had 1 fry and the other had 2 but from what iv been reading we should of expecting more ?

Guppies can produce 10-100 babies per batch, with young females producing smaller batches (20-50) and older females producing bigger batches up to 100 or more.

If you aren't getting many babies, it is either lack of food or not enough hiding places. Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank for the mother and babies to hide in. Water Sprite is a great floating plant for baby fish.

Feed the fish 3-5 times a day while the females are gravid (pregnant) and for a week after they give birth. Do more water changes to compensate for the extra food.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Maybe deworm the fish. See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

Guppies can produce 10-100 babies per batch, with young females producing smaller batches (20-50) and older females producing bigger batches up to 100 or more.

If you aren't getting many babies, it is either lack of food or not enough hiding places. Make sure you have lots of plants in the tank for the mother and babies to hide in. Water Sprite is a great floating plant for baby fish.

Feed the fish 3-5 times a day while the females are gravid (pregnant) and for a week after they give birth. Do more water changes to compensate for the extra food.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Maybe deworm the fish. See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.
i agree it depends on the size and stage of pregnancy and the stress and stuff
also if you have more roots and leaves in the tank it will help a lot with baby hiding

Sometimes when pregnant females enter a new enviroment, they'll drop just a few fry instead of more. That's quite normal.

I have also found each time they are pregnant my fry that i have grown up give birth to more & more fry each time.
I had a break for months by giving away all the adults & keeping a few fry, Then seperating males from females. I then realised it was boring without hundreds of fry 🤣, So selected 2 Sisters & put them in with a new blooded male. Right now i have 15 fry spread between 2 tanks

Hundreds of fry are only fun if you have the multiple tanks needed to house them. If you only have one tank - hundreds of fry become a nightmare. Know from personal experience. 😳

Hundreds of fry are only fun if you have the multiple tanks needed to house them. If you only have one tank - hundreds of fry become a nightmare. Know from personal experience. 😳
I'm curious how many fish I will be able to harvest from the outdoor tubs somewhere this fall... Each year it's always a surprise!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back