Pregnant guppy?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rockyv

Reaction score
Hi all I’m new to raising fish (2 months maybe?)

I was very specific about getting males but turns out the store clerk sold me females (should’ve done a google search one male and female guppy’s ‍♀️)
No big deal, mal and Jayne are female so thank god their names were gender neutral

however I think mal may be pregnant?! Someone saw a picture of her and said she is but I don’t know that person so don’t know if they’re credible or what I should do to make her safest if she is? Thanks for your time!
Rocky
70FBC91B-6AD4-4E78-A79D-8B197CB4B9F1.jpeg
F58B3E17-59B1-493A-8D74-F859FD055246.jpeg
C2357B8A-0D7A-4DCA-8C9F-5C7D5BEB70A2.jpeg
8C343C87-C825-417F-AAD9-95BD9FBC4E1F.jpeg

if shes fat and been with a male any time during the last 6 months, she probably is.

Yes, she is pregnant. If there is a male in the same tank, or has been a male at any time during the last 6 months, female livebearers will be at some stage of pregnancy. Female livebearers can store sperm for up to 6 months so will still have babies even after a male fish has been removed from the tank. Are both the guppies female - I wasn't sure from your post. If they are both female, expect fry from both of them.

There are sure to be both male and female fry, and after about 3 months, the female fry will start having fry as well.
Fry all look female until puberty when the anal fin of the male fry will slowly change from a triangular fin to a gonopodium. If you can spot the male fry as soon as the fin starts to change shape and remove them to another tank, you'll save yourself a population explosion.

Thank you for your responses! Yikes now what do I do with the babies when they’re born?!?

EDIT:
I went back to the place I got them to get a “maternity tank”. Luckily the girl I got Mal and Jayne from was there and said she’ll take the fry!!!

Last edited:
I have 8 adult guppys in a shrimp/guppy tank. In the last 3 months they have had 4 broods of guppies. They seem to leave the fry alone. I have maybe 20 plus fry now in my 30 gallon tank. They are like rabbits :)

Maternity ward in my kitchen!!! Turns out I have 3 pregnant fish (2 guppy’s, 1 molly) :eek: moved them to a new tankaway from all males and other fish that may get nervous around the babies.

Attachments

• FB417C06-067A-4FB4-8B43-7F22A9617994.jpeg
    FB417C06-067A-4FB4-8B43-7F22A9617994.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 87
I have a fry tank there are like 40 fry in there.

Attachments

• 157982838693031352722203204072.jpg
    157982838693031352722203204072.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 110
Such sad news. Both Mal and Jayne had passed by the time I got home. I know I did everything right (conditioning, temp, water, salt, stress coat, waited, let them adjust temp. Etc.) I feel bad cause they’d be a alive if I left them in their tank originally I just thought it would be healthier and more comfortable away from other fish. The tank was so foggy. I’m heart broken. My balloon molly is still alive. I hope she makes it. I took her out of the tank cause something is clearly wrong. I don’t know what happened. :blush:

Did you cycle the tank before putting the fish in there? Did you add in beneficial bacteria? If not, that's probably why the fish died. Sorry for your loss...

Such sad news. Both Mal and Jayne had passed by the time I got home. I know I did everything right (conditioning, temp, water, salt, stress coat, waited, let them adjust temp. Etc.) I feel bad cause they’d be a alive if I left them in their tank originally I just thought it would be healthier and more comfortable away from other fish. The tank was so foggy. I’m heart broken. My balloon molly is still alive. I hope she makes it. I took her out of the tank cause something is clearly wrong. I don’t know what happened. :blush:
Sorry for your loss:sad:

Most reactions

trending

Back