Pregnant Guppy?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guppyramid

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So, I recently got 6 yellow cobra guppies about a week ago and I think one of them is pregnant. Her stomach is bigger than my other female and she’s starting to get a black spot on towards the back side of her stomach. I’m not completely positive it’s a gravid spot though. Does anyone know what else it could be? I noticed this just recently. She was starting to become calmer and hide more often, so I figured I should put her in my breeding box. At first she seemed very stressed and was moving her fins very fast while staying in a spot. I gave her some freeze dried bloodworms and she ate. Then, she just calmly stayed at the bottom and I was a bit concerned. After a while, she started spinning around as if out of reflex and eating things (?). Then, SHE — SOMEHOW — ESCAPED! I don’t know what I should do. Is it time for her to be in the box at this stage? Is she even pregnant?!

Attachments

• DAFC9BD3-3098-4DC7-9F67-C420EA8268AB.jpeg
    DAFC9BD3-3098-4DC7-9F67-C420EA8268AB.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 5EB4FA0C-B106-4BFF-9D15-1DA43ACA3C8E.jpeg
    5EB4FA0C-B106-4BFF-9D15-1DA43ACA3C8E.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 5F043CDD-AEC2-4686-BFA5-883BB610A524.jpeg
    5F043CDD-AEC2-4686-BFA5-883BB610A524.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 5860CE86-3E70-41EE-974A-96DCCDF4F4D9.jpeg
    5860CE86-3E70-41EE-974A-96DCCDF4F4D9.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 137
She escaped from the box because being in there stressed her. Fish do not like being confined in these small boxes.
It is better to leave the fish in the tank to give birth there. If there are plenty of hiding places a lot of fry will survive. Plants, real or fake, will provide these hiding places.

I know you feel the need to save every fry but there are problems with this. Every female will have fry every month. Even if there were no males in the tank, the females will have fry for up to 6 months. This is a lot of fry - what will you do with them all? Fish stores are unlikely to take them, and those that do will only take them when they reach a certain size. You could give them away, but once everyone in your area has some that source will dry up.
It sounds very callous, but the best thing to do is leave the females in the tank, and if some fry make it, good.

One other point - you mention this female and another female. How many males and how many females do you have? With this fish, you need more males than females. females than males.

Edited to correct mistake, thanks Naughts.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome :)
There is a typo in @essjay's post. You need more female guppies than males as males constantly harass the females. Alternatively just keep males.

I have guppies in a 30 gallon tank with some shrimp. I am silent cycling the tank. I started out with 5 guppies who had at least 9 fry a week or two later which are swimming around the tank. I have plants and plenty of hiding places but the guppies seem to leave the fry alone. I agree with @essjay and @Naughts.

Thanks everyone! One question though- I currently have 7 males and 9 females. I am planning to get rid of 2 of the males. Would this be okay?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back