Pregnant Guppy ......

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

elle112

Reaction score
Hello . This is my first post/question. I believe I have one or all of my female guppies that are pregnant. Can someone possibly confirm how far along she is. I have tried my best to take pictures but these little guys are always on the move

Attachments

• 1523919563396-195318996.jpg
    1523919563396-195318996.jpg
    655.7 KB · Views: 172
Looks like she is definitely pregnant. I'm not sure about guppies (I keep Endlers) but it looks to me like you may have fry within a week or two.

The gestation period is about 1 month at 24C.

Female guppies are just about always pregnant, especially if they have had a male in their tank anytime during the last 6 months. The females can carry sperm packets around in their body for up to 6 months. They can get 4 or more sperm packets from a single mating with 1 male.

thanks ! I was pretty sure she was. but it seems it's been about 3 weeks so I guess she will give birth this week . I don't have a "breeder" box . I have a spare empty betta box the little cube ones. but I have heard different opinions as to whether or not to transfer her. I woke up a few weeks ago to 3 fry. Maybe they had been hiding for a while and they were the ones who suurvived.but this was as they say an "unplanned pregnancy" so I was just happy to have them and still have them. my tank isn't very big so even if this one gives birth I am not expecting miracles lol

Do not transfer her into a small container (betta box or breeding net). The stress of being caught and confined in a small enclosure can cause the females to absorb the babies, give birth prematurely or hold the babies.

If you have lots of plants in the tank, especially floating plants like Water Sprite, most of the babies will survive by hiding among the roots and leaves. The babies will not add much extra load to the tank until they are about an inch long. At which time you can sell or trade them at the petshop :)

thanks ! I was pretty sure she was. but it seems it's been about 3 weeks so I guess she will give birth this week . I don't have a "breeder" box . I have a spare empty betta box the little cube ones. but I have heard different opinions as to whether or not to transfer her. I woke up a few weeks ago to 3 fry. Maybe they had been hiding for a while and they were the ones who suurvived.but this was as they say an "unplanned pregnancy" so I was just happy to have them and still have them. my tank isn't very big so even if this one gives birth I am not expecting miracles lol

A betta box? I'm assuming that's a tank or bowl of somekind? Wont help, unless there is a grate for newborn fry to fall through mum can still get to them and will eat them.
If you're aiming to save the fry, there are two techniques aimed at higher survival rates.
A breeder box, which can be quite stressful and you may end up with a few unhatched fry - still in their eggs (born prematurely). Bear in mind this can also be a side affect of her first pregnancy - these tend to have more difficulties.
or a heavily planted tank to prevent predation.
After a week they should be big enough to swim free with other guppies. Steer clear of other larger fish until the fry are too big to fit into their mouths though!
I've found that with guppy pregnancy everyone on the internet loves to say they know for sure, or that shes not sqaured off, or that shes not big enough.
the truth is guppies can really surprise you, they dont always look to be "sqaured off" and sometimes the gravid spot is more light brown than black.
she could be anywhere from a week to a day off. Just be prepared and watch for signs of labour.
good luck with your guppies :)

p.s you probably know this but just in case... bettas and guppies are tropical fish, they both need a heater and filters, and bettas should be in a preferable minimum of 20litres

A betta box? I'm assuming that's a tank or bowl of somekind? Wont help, unless there is a grate for newborn fry to fall through mum can still get to them and will eat them.
If you're aiming to save the fry, there are two techniques aimed at higher survival rates.
A breeder box, which can be quite stressful and you may end up with a few unhatched fry - still in their eggs (born prematurely). Bear in mind this can also be a side affect of her first pregnancy - these tend to have more difficulties.
or a heavily planted tank to prevent predation.
After a week they should be big enough to swim free with other guppies. Steer clear of other larger fish until the fry are too big to fit into their mouths though!
I've found that with guppy pregnancy everyone on the internet loves to say they know for sure, or that shes not sqaured off, or that shes not big enough.
the truth is guppies can really surprise you, they dont always look to be "sqaured off" and sometimes the gravid spot is more light brown than black.
she could be anywhere from a week to a day off. Just be prepared and watch for signs of labour.
good luck with your guppies :)

p.s you probably know this but just in case... bettas and guppies are tropical fish, they both need a heater and filters, and bettas should be in a preferable minimum of 20litres
so my guppy finally gave birth. I was wondering if she was just a fat fish after so long. but good news I have 4 fry survivors (I wasn't expecting miracles considering my tabk size) but I was pleasantly surprised to notice all 4 fry I have seen are distinctly dofferent I'm colour and slightly in shape. my 2 un planned guppy fry I had after most likely buying a pregnant guppy are 6 weeks old and are growing well but are identical In colours and shape. since birth. they look exactly like the mom. my new babies look significantly diverse . the mom was a nice looking fancy guppy with a beatiful fan speckled tail and the dad was one of the longer plain looking guppy kind (salmon coloured) . should I expect some I randoms when they mature considering the immediate difference from day one that they all look unique. I'm ery excited to see what develops . I'm not sure how how gupoy genetics regarding recessive gene traits or whatever. I just know tht the 2 I had by accident came with the purchase but these did it for sure in my tank.

Most reactions

Back