Pregnant Guppy

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LittleEmma16

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if the black gravid spot on the pregnant guppy has disapeared does this mean shes already had her babies?

thats the thing i cant decide, from one angle she looks a little skinnier, but at a different angle she still looks fat :/

yea shes still got abit of a black tummy, when the light has been off its not there but after a while of the light being on it becomes darker again

Each female is so different... so I can describe some of mine and maybe that will help. My female that just gave birth has a black gravid spot before birthing and about 1/4 of the very top of the gravid spot stays speckly black all the time while the rest returns to a sort of pinkish color. This female is older and never shrinks to a small size.

I've had blonde females that had spots that turn more pinkish/red and never turn black but you can see baby eyes really well.

Another decently dark female (as in black and blue tail) has a permanently black gravid spot regardless.

As for sizes... my first timers tend to shrink to pretty much their original size... those that tend to have 10 or less babies tend to shrink to normal size and those who have many batches or big batches seem to shrink by half and not to original size....

... or so is my experience.

well she looked big last night so i put her in my fish trap over night and the light was off, got up this morning there was no babies yet she looked skinnier with no gravid spot, and now the light has been on an hour the gravid spot has got really dark again

well she looked big last night so i put her in my fish trap over night and the light was off, got up this morning there was no babies yet she looked skinnier with no gravid spot, and now the light has been on an hour the gravid spot has got really dark again
Hi Emma,

My guppies do exactley the same thing, I have 3 females, all have dark gravid spots after the light has been on for a while or so. None of my girls are pregnant, either that or it's the longest pregnancy ever 6weeks!! lol

lol well im so confused, im guessing i have missed the babies then and the other fish got to the babies before me :/

A change in color of the gravid spot means absolutely nothing. Sorry folks but the obsession about gravid spot colors is a relic of an earlier era when people had no idea how to judge a female's state. Try simply judging your female's state by her shape. You will be right far more often than using colors. The last time I looked I still had a link in my signature area to My Molly's Progress that gave a day by day account, with frequent pictures, of a full pregnancy cycle on my female molly. Guppies are exactly the same thing in terms of judging their progress.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back