Pregnant guppy scales sticking out pls help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Al1ce

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me, I set a new tank up for my fish using water from previous aquarium and some aqua balls, tested water all good, decided before putting all fish in I would just put my pregnant guppy in to give her space to have her fry, only thing I did different in this tank was add sand instead of gravel, so I know there is nothing wrong with the water, and all other fish fine, but I think she may be stressed because all her scales are sticking out but only on her belly, not her tail, I also noticed a small like red scratch on her, shall I just put her back in tank with others or is this normal for a pregnant guppy? She seems to stay at the bottom, hasnā€™t been eating, and sometime she looks like she is standing in her nose with tail in the air, I am at fisheries this afternoon if there is anything I can get to help her? Thanks

Attachments

• F10FB722-C872-4754-94FB-53AB0039FC4D.jpeg
    F10FB722-C872-4754-94FB-53AB0039FC4D.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 235
  • ADC03521-9E36-45BE-BC24-6F056F8F93FD.jpeg
    ADC03521-9E36-45BE-BC24-6F056F8F93FD.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
She looks like she has dropsy which normally doesnā€™t have a good outcome. She may have ingested too much sand too. You can put her in an epsom salt bath and see if that helps. One teaspoon per gallon of dechlorinated water. Leave her in for 10 minutes. You can do this 3 times a day. The epsom salt also serves as a mild laxative if sheā€™s constipated. Be sure to dissolve the salt before adding fish. Fast her for the next 24 hours. See how she does. A combination of Kanaplex and Furan-2 sometimes helps dropsy but not sure how it would affect the fry. Keep us posted!

Can anyone please help me, I set a new tank up for my fish using water from previous aquarium and some aqua balls, tested water all good, decided before putting all fish in I would just put my pregnant guppy in to give her space to have her fry, only thing I did different in this tank was add sand instead of gravel, so I know there is nothing wrong with the water, and all other fish fine, but I think she may be stressed because all her scales are sticking out, shall I just put her back in tank with others or is this normal for a pregnant guppy? She seems to stay at the bottom, hasnā€™t been eating, and sometime she looks like she is standing in her nose with tail in the air, I am at fisheries this afternoon if there is anything I can get to help her? Thanks
She looks like she has dropsy which normally doesnā€™t have a good outcome. She may have ingested too much sand too. You can put her in an epsom salt bath and see if that helps. One teaspoon per gallon of dechlorinated water. Leave her in for 10 minutes. You can do this 3 times a day. The epsom salt also serves as a mild laxative if sheā€™s constipated. Be sure to dissolve the salt before adding fish. Fast her for the next 24 hours. See how she does. A combination of Kanaplex and Furan-2 sometimes helps dropsy but not sure how it would affect the fry. Keep us posted!

Aww no I have just looked this up, it doesnā€™t sound good at all, I have aquarium salt which I have added to the water as per instructions, but thatā€™s just a normal dose, I didnā€™t rly want to disturb her, incase I stress her out more, she has 2 red spots on her now, is there anyway I can save the fry if she doesnā€™t recover, has anyone been successful with this? Seriously she looks like she is going to pop, can fish get constipated I feel so sorry for her, she keeps head butting the sand and can barely swim. Is drops contagious as I was planning on adding other fish to this tank eventually. Really hope she pulls through, please see image apart from the fact she looks like a rabbit with no ears, what is the mark on her belly like a dimple spot

Attachments

• C2196275-5232-41B4-9103-24D6D580A64B.jpeg
    C2196275-5232-41B4-9103-24D6D580A64B.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 143
Wow, I donā€™t know. Try feeding her a deshelled blanched pea. It may help her poop. Go ahead and put the epsom salt in her tank. She needs something fast. Later, do a water change.

Oh, yes, fish do get constipated. The pea and epsom saltt may help her poop. Do it quickly as she could actually pop. Dropsy is not contagious.

Last edited:
@WinterSoldier. according to OP she was pregnant already before she got sick.
Yes she was pregnant itā€™s why I put her in a seperate tank for her fry to survive, I think moving her so late an new tank has caused the dropsy, she is still going I treated her with esha 2000 which is for dropsy, itā€™s a 3 day dose, so hopefully it not to late an she may pull through, no way am I going to kill her, let nature take its course, il let you know how she goes. Thanks

Yes she was pregnant itā€™s why I put her in a seperate tank for her fry to survive, I think moving her so late an new tank has caused the dropsy, she is still going I treated her with esha 2000 which is for dropsy, itā€™s a 3 day dose, so hopefully it not to late an she may pull through, no way am I going to kill her, let nature take its course, il let you know how she goes. Thanks
Sadly my guppy died, I will know now what to look out for with signs, to prevent this and treat my fish in future, thanks everyone for all the advice.

:rip:I was afraid of that. You did all you could and Iā€™m so sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back