Pregnant Forever?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So before everyone tries to say "You must have a Balloon Platy" I have zero balloon platys. 

Anyway, around a month ago, going on 2 months, I got a female platy. she must have been newly pregnant because it wasnt long after i purchased her, that her belly began to get rounder and rounder. Well it squared off and we were expecting for her to give birth, we put her in a breeder box which just stressed her out so she held onto her fry. We then put her in a 1.5 gallon planted tank by herself to have the fry, she still didnt have any because that stressed her out. We put her back into the main tank with the other platys and she was happy as a clam and gave birth. Well, we know of 13 fry in total that we have seen, Im guessing she has had around 30 fry so far because she is still EXTREMELY pregnant after all this time. Is it possible for a female platy to just stay hugely pregnant and only drop fry here and there when she feels like it I suppose?? 

My platys seem to be pregnant all the time they never really get thin but just stay rounded and have fry regularly so I'd say yes they are pretty much continually pregnant.

I believe they can hold onto sperm from the males for up to 6 months and use that to keep getting themselves pregnant.  Its odd that it would happen so quickly after giving birth. Perhaps she may have held onto some fry just haven't heard of that happening before 

I don't think you've got a balloon platy, if it helps?

Anyway, the above is correct, livebearers can store sperm packets for up to 6 months after their last, ahem, encounter with a male. If you have a male platy (or swordtail) in your tank, she will spend her entire life gravid.

And some are just a round build.  I had one that was as above (always pregnant) but she was also of a much rounder build than the others that made her an even more noticeable presence.

No because I have a guppy which was pregnant for a month and gave birth to only 12 guppies and that was it but after she did she still looked pregnant like nothing happend
And now she's pregnant again. It was January when she last gave birth

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back