Preg. Zebra Danio

Darth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, I have 5 zebras, looks like 2 of them are female and full of eggs, they are massive(compared to the males). Only have dwarf green rush, an Indo fern and an Anubius in there with them, do they need particular types of plants to spawn?

Hey, I have 5 zebras, looks like 2 of them are female and full of eggs, they are massive(compared to the males). Only have dwarf green rush, an Indo fern and an Anubius in there with them, do they need particular types of plants to spawn?

mine seem to spawn anywhere they can........but they soon eat the eggs.

I also read that they pair for life and only spawn with this mate, is this true? If so, how can I tell who is with who cause ATM everyone is still zipping around in a group like always. The males still size up to each other every now and then

cant help you with that one because mine are exactly the same. I appear to have 3 males and 7 females, they zip around on the substrate almost every morning. I have no idea who is trying to spawn with who!

Well, the females are def. smaller this morning and everyone looks full! Even the plecos are out. Breeding tank will be the next setup i think... You live and you learn.... Fish are so interesting, their behavior fascinates me :blink:

Yes a breeding tank is best, something like 18x12x12 inches will be fine for 4-5 fish (try 2 males to each female).
Their not fussy who they spawn with, as long as their fit and can keep up is the important thing ;)

If you can get a load or marbles and cover the bottom of the breeding tank with 2 layes and run a air powered sponge filter.

Once their fattened up allow the temp on the breeding tank to drop by turning off the heater and let it go down 3-5C down!
Then late at night add the breeding group to the tank, most of the time they will then spawn by the morning.

Remove the adults and have fun rearing the fry,.
You should the see fry sticking to the glass with in 36-48 hours

I am guessing no filter while they grow? Feed them on crushed flakes or should I get some fry food? They are fat again now.... Dont have a second heater but it is pretty warm in Australia at the moment, might not need on?

I am guessing no filter while they grow? Feed them on crushed flakes or should I get some fry food? They are fat again now.... Dont have a second heater but it is pretty warm in Australia at the moment, might not need on?

You want to set a air powered sponge filter as once mature these will even help feed the fry with microscopic foods.
Dont feed to early as the fry has a yolk sac, any foos will be wasted and pollute the water.
Then from day day 3-5 the fry should be free swimming and using up their yolk sac and looking for food.
Liquifry #1 is handy, or newly hatched brine shrimp and micro eel's are the best foods fro fry.
Dont feed flake foods as this will not be eaten by these tiny fry, and they need something moving to trigger them to feed.
Danio's are happy in unheated tank as long as the room temp is ok, giving water temps of 65f plus

Oh, will I be able to see the eggs, colour and size? Wondering for marble colour thats all... Cheers

Your see them if their breeding. They scatter 20-30 at a time, their very small 1mm at the most and their clear.... So have fun trying to see them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back