Pre-filter too loose

I do something similar except I use the filter media bags with the draw string. Never thought to use window screening. I usually place a piece of pvc/abs or some other pipe that has holes drilled into it to increase the surface of the area water is being drawn from. The pipe is used to prevent the fabric from tightly surrounding the intake and the result is lower flow over the entire area. When I had a betta the AC 20 seemed a bit much for it but doing this helped. I would take a picture but I would have to take apart my decor, it is located all behind a hollow stump. You need lots of holes in the pipe.
View attachment 305415
I like it too!

I do something similar except I use the filter media bags with the draw string. Never thought to use window screening. I usually place a piece of pvc/abs or some other pipe that has holes drilled into it to increase the surface of the area water is being drawn from. The pipe is used to prevent the fabric from tightly surrounding the intake and the result is lower flow over the entire area. When I had a betta the AC 20 seemed a bit much for it but doing this helped. I would take a picture but I would have to take apart my decor, it is located all behind a hollow stump. You need lots of holes in the pipe.
View attachment 305415
Interesting! I'll consider it!

AquaClear 20...the flow is adjustable...I assume you have to intake pipe turned to the lowest setting?

How high is the water level? What size tank is this?

I've kept bettas in 5.5G tanks using an AC20, with the flow on the lowest setting, and never had issues

AquaClear 20...the flow is adjustable...I assume you have to intake pipe turned to the lowest setting?

How high is the water level? What size tank is this?

I've kept bettas in 5.5G tanks using an AC20, with the flow on the lowest setting, and never had issues
It's a 10 gallon, lowest setting, I try to keep the water high though it evaporates pretty quickly. I have a plastic bottle baffle as well. I have one in a 5.5 as well, but it's a different kind of betta and he was almost twice the size and strong from being in the wrong kind of tank (oops!... vertical not horizontal) instead of coming straight out of a small one. (Though thankfully not a cup). I think when he grows and gets stronger it will be no issue. But in the meantime... I don't want him struggling against flow or suction.

Does the tank have a lid? Where is the filter located?
The tank is cycled, correct?

Is the tank planted? Deco in the tank? Post pics of the tank, and the betta

In a tank that size, a betta shouldn't struggle against the flow of an AC20

Does the tank have a lid? Where is the filter located?
The tank is cycled, correct?

Is the tank planted? Deco in the tank? Post pics of the tank, and the betta

In a tank that size, a betta shouldn't struggle against the flow of an AC20
The tank is DEFINITELY cycled. I wouldn't put anything in an uncycled tank. Did it twice... once in college and once sadly not that long ago and it worked out... but never ever again. It has a lid that came with it (I bought it used and did a massive clean up of it this summer... very thorough and careful. It's completely safe). The lid had a precut section for the filter in the center of the tank. So I had to plan all my decor around that. I have lots of silk plants (and one silicone). Some ceramic pieces made for aquariums, one with spaces large enough for him to swim through or hide in should he desire. I originally had African dwarf frogs in there (just stopped eating one day. Tried for two weeks to entice them but finally took them back and went back to my betta love). I created a feeding dish out of polymer clay and a large manatee out of polymer clay that they could hide under. Both were fully cooked. I have one potted plant in a ceramic snail pot. It's still a baby... it's a crypto. Don't remember which I went with right off. All the leaves died when I put it in but came back strong as cryptos often do and it is slowly growing and healthy. It's bigger than when the picture was taken, almost doubled in size. Still tiny, but growing.

I only have one picture of the whole tank and two of the fish with me. I'm actually away because of a medical emergency right now so I can't take any more at the moment. (I had to come to my parent's place 30 miles away because I needed the ER and am established with the one there. I don't know how soon I'll get back. I expect my parents to go tomorrow to get my car and feed the little guy for me.. will ask them for better photos of the fish. And I'll try and get Mom to go back on Tuesday to feed him. It's POSSIBLE I could get my landlord to pop in and feed him, but not sure. ) Gospel's maybe an inch in size? I think as he gains strength just by being able to swim around more he won't have quite the trouble as he is now. Even one day after making this thread he got away more easily. The same filter with the exact same set-up in my 5.5 is absolutely fine... but the betta was already strong from being in the wrong kind of tank for many months (vertical instead of horizontal. I remedied that as soon as I could) and is also about twice the size of the new guy with different tail type. I think size, strength, and tail are the cumulative culprits.

Gospel.jpg
Gospel2.jpg
10 gallon full view.jpg

The tank is DEFINITELY cycled. I wouldn't put anything in an uncycled tank. Did it twice... once in college and once sadly not that long ago and it worked out... but never ever again. It has a lid that came with it (I bought it used and did a massive clean up of it this summer... very thorough and careful. It's completely safe). The lid had a precut section for the filter in the center of the tank. So I had to plan all my decor around that. I have lots of silk plants (and one silicone). Some ceramic pieces made for aquariums, one with spaces large enough for him to swim through or hide in should he desire. I originally had African dwarf frogs in there (just stopped eating one day. Tried for two weeks to entice them but finally took them back and went back to my betta love). I created a feeding dish out of polymer clay and a large manatee out of polymer clay that they could hide under. Both were fully cooked. I have one potted plant in a ceramic snail pot. It's still a baby... it's a crypto. Don't remember which I went with right off. All the leaves died when I put it in but came back strong as cryptos often do and it is slowly growing and healthy. It's bigger than when the picture was taken, almost doubled in size. Still tiny, but growing.

I only have one picture of the whole tank and two of the fish with me. I'm actually away because of a medical emergency right now so I can't take any more at the moment. (I had to come to my parent's place 30 miles away because I needed the ER and am established with the one there. I don't know how soon I'll get back. I expect my parents to go tomorrow to get my car and feed the little guy for me.. will ask them for better photos of the fish. And I'll try and get Mom to go back on Tuesday to feed him. It's POSSIBLE I could get my landlord to pop in and feed him, but not sure. ) Gospel's maybe an inch in size? I think as he gains strength just by being able to swim around more he won't have quite the trouble as he is now. Even one day after making this thread he got away more easily. The same filter with the exact same set-up in my 5.5 is absolutely fine... but the betta was already strong from being in the wrong kind of tank for many months (vertical instead of horizontal. I remedied that as soon as I could) and is also about twice the size of the new guy with different tail type. I think size, strength, and tail are the cumulative culprits.

View attachment 305483View attachment 305484View attachment 305485
I forgot to mention that I tried floating plants twice. The ref roots all died. The duckweek is almost gone. Took a while to realize the silly plastic piece on top of the tank that the original lights sat on was milky and the probably likely not enough light getting through. For now I took it off and will find a good quality solution (also low-cost) to replace it with.

Sorry to hear of the medical emergency...use caution when having others feed your fish...a betta can go days w/out eating...overfeeding can cause problems quickly, underfeeding (for periods of time) rarely causes issues, depending on the fish

I always situate my HOB filters on one end or the other of my tanks, to breakup the high/low flow areas of the tank...still, having your filter in the middle of a tank this size shouldn't cause your betta to struggle

See how it goes, give him time to adjust...and again, caution with others feeding your fish

Get well soon

Sorry to hear of the medical emergency...use caution when having others feed your fish...a betta can go days w/out eating...overfeeding can cause problems quickly, underfeeding (for periods of time) rarely causes issues, depending on the fish

I always situate my HOB filters on one end or the other of my tanks, to breakup the high/low flow areas of the tank...still, having your filter in the middle of a tank this size shouldn't cause your betta to struggle

See how it goes, give him time to adjust...and again, caution with others feeding your fish

Get well soon
I actually set aside a single portion in a pill box container (one of those 7-day ones). I washed and dried it so no residue. But that way they can't under or overfeed. :) Thanks for the concern though. I usually put my filter on one end or the other but with this particular lid, I have no choice. Eventually, I want to buy a glass lid with the piece you can cut to fit your tank's setup. I'm on disability and right now, that's just not in the cards, unfortunately. I'll get to a point where I can do that, though, and will.

I have been using prefilters on H.O.Bs, canisters and powerheads for many years, For bigger filters I use the ATI prefilters. But these are too big for an AC20. I have these and mine are all pre-ifiltered.

I make them from foam/sponge blocks. Pre-filters should be fairly coarse- 10 or 20 ppi at pest. To make one I
be. I actually buy an AC 500 foam for this or I will use some of my Poret foam (Pricey). Once I have made the rectangular piece I tace a scissors and cut and X in the top that run almost to the bottom. Do not make a hole in the bottom as the AC intake has a hole at its bottom and will then such unfiltered/slowed water through it.

Once I like the fit, I will trim the corners to make it all rounded.

i-dszVqDP-M.jpg

i-sTLCxQP-M.jpg

Saw you are in midwest and talking about a new local fish store that opened up. I'd be amazed if it's on Dempster street!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back