Prairiesunflower's Betta: Firefly (Bought June 13, 2014)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Time for a little update and new photo.

The mysterious white raised spot Firefly had on his fin went away, so no idea what that was.

I figure he must have grown back all his fins now so here is a new photo.

Well.... this happened overnight.  :(

Firefly isn't a tail biter so all I can figure is that it got caught somewhere... I assume on the filter but I can't figure out where.  Ages ago my previous betta got his tail stuck and a small rip but I cut sponge and fit it in the offending space and it never happened again.  It is not possible to get stuck in that same spot... and I can't figure out what other spot it could be.  No sign of fins anywhere.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 255
I did discover yesterday afternoon that Firefly was flicking himself against thing and that this is what caused the damage.  I can't see a reason for it but he seems to have stopped and not suffered any further damage since.

But sadly... this is the state of him now.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 246
I see the tiniest bit of regrowth near the first bit to have torn off.  I hope it heals quickly... Firefly looks like such a sad little lump all tattered up.  There has been no more flicking since the first time I saw it and no further tearing since the second time it happened.  I hope whatever was bothering him is gone.

Firefly's fins are continuing to grow back nicely.  If I remember I will post a photo later of how he is coming along.  His fins have grown enough now that the long strands no longer roll and get sticky fins, so that's good.

I am wondering if some betta's are just smaller than others.  Firefly is still a lot smaller than Riley was (in the body) and I've had Firefly long enough now that he has to be full grown in size.  Anyway, doesn't matter, he is really healthy and extremely active.  He is zig-zagging at the front of the tank at the moment waiting for his pellets to be soaked so he can eat breakfast.  :)

Unfortunately, Firefly has just died very suddenly.  I saw no signs of illness until literally minutes before he died.  Rather baffled about what happened.

So sorry for your loss, Time for a new Betta?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back