power outage

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
What type of filter do you mean by internal? I know that Americans use different terms for filters from us over here - for example you use the word cannister, we use external for the same filter. Do we mean the same when we talk about internals?

To me an internal filter is one that sits inside the tank completely submerged. This type of filter does not need water pouring in the top of it. I have only ever used this type of filter and an air powered sponge filter; the only time any filter has not turned back on was one particular filter where I had to flick the impeller fins to get it going after every water change.
This is the kind of filter we call internal, this is what I have in my main tank now https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/internal-filters/biopower

Apart from external/cannister filters, HOB filters and internals of the type I described, there are also trickle filters popular in the UK. There are located in the hood; water is pumped up from the tank, through the filter than back down into the tank. This type run the risk of drying out during a long power outage.

This is what us Americans call an internal filter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DHYF4/?tag=ff0d01-20

I got this customer image off of Amazon.com:
71O2Q3DqUVL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX175.jpg

See? It goes I the tank, not on the back.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK we are talking about different things then. In the UK, internals are completely under the water.

I'll remember that for future threads :)

This a tank I had back in 2010, it shows what I mean as an internal filter. And yes, that is an apple (mystery) snail on the right hand side, this photo was taken before the EU banned them.
60 litre.JPG

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The US kind of internal is not common in the UK - I've never seen one like your type in shops. The ones I've seen are all the type that are completely under water - and we know exactly how this type work ;)

OK we are talking about different things then. In the UK, internals are completely under the water.

I'll remember that for future threads :)

This a tank I had back in 2010, it shows what I mean as an internal filter. And yes, that is an apple (mystery) snail on the right hand side, this photo was taken before the EU banned them.
View attachment 105862
Interesting...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back