Power Filters

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

badman1

Reaction score
I was given a brand new Hydor Prime 10 external power filter for xmas.I followed the instuctions and set it up in my 36in x12inx18in tank,it seemed to work ok but by the end of Jan it needed cleaning as the flow had about stopped.Since then it has needed cleaning almost weekly.I do not over feed and I also have a fluvel U3 internal pf running in tank,this goes weeks without problems.
When I clean the Hydor it is the pipes which seem to be thick with slime,both inlet and return,while the canister blocks up with slime/debris about every 3rd week.
Has any one had similar problems with this type of filter(if so did you cure the problem and how?) or could anyone suggest a remedy(not get a new filter,although it may be next on list)

Hi there,

I've not used Hydor myself, but a quick q:

What substrate do you have? do you have plants?

How far 'down' is the intake tube set? have you tried installing a spong to filter around it?

Which piping did it come with?? You could always change it, especially if its the corrugated type which tends to hold slime more readily.

The only other thing I can think is that the bacteria colony in the filter has died for what-ever reason, which is leading to the problems, or that the media is in the wrong order...

I just did a quick Google search and found that your Hydor filter is intended to be used on a 20 to 40 gallon tank. That means it is OK but just marginal on your tank at around 33 gallons. A weekly cleaning seems ridiculous to me on a filter that is that close a match to the tank size. Have a look at the geometry of things in your tank. Do you have the inlet too close to a plant or the substrate? What is the nature of the material you are removing when you clean the filter? Is it something that is quite close to the filter inlet? Maybe it is excess food that would indicate the need to merely cut back on feedings.

You will need to be a bit of a detective on this one. Something is seriously wrong when a canister filter needs weekly cleanings. My own canisters seldom get cleaned at less than 3 months and I tend to push my filters to larger tanks than most people would be willing to use them on.

Prime 10 filters are pretty robust and a fairly good filter, and in our stingray tanks the filters went months without a clean out, so I think there is either something fundamentally wrong with the way you have set it up or you have some water parameter problem that is promoting the slime.
There is no way in the world that an external filter should need cleaning thoroughly every week.
I would not bother with a new filter because I think you would just find the problems were transferred, I doubt it is a filter hardware problem, more likely to be a water parameter or filter set-up problem.

Hi there,

I've not used Hydor myself, but a quick q:

What substrate do you have? do you have plants?

How far 'down' is the intake tube set? have you tried installing a spong to filter around it?

Hi,
I am using 3/16in pea gravel for substrate.The tank is quite heavily planted,and the plants are thriving.The inlet is about 2in above gravel(it is not long enough to go further down).Guppies,Platies,Sucking loach and Peppered cat fish are kept in tank.
Having spoken to my local aquatic shop(Wharfe Aquatics),they are baffled why it happens and their only suggestion is that the flow of water through the filter is so slow it allows the slime causing bacteria time to stick to the pipe work,so blocking it after a short time.The rated throughput is 80gph.The shop advised 3x that for best results.

The pipe is 12mm smooth bore pipe that came with it,as are the fittings for intake and return.I have set up as per instuctions in filter box.The debris removed from canister is mainly slime, which blocks the coarse sponge and the fine wool pads (but to a lesser extent)other type of debris,such as plant material or food are almost absent.

Prime 10 filters are pretty robust and a fairly good filter, and in our stingray tanks the filters went months without a clean out, so I think there is either something fundamentally wrong with the way you have set it up or you have some water parameter problem that is promoting the slime.
There is no way in the world that an external filter should need cleaning thoroughly every week.
I would not bother with a new filter because I think you would just find the problems were transferred, I doubt it is a filter hardware problem, more likely to be a water parameter or filter set-up problem.

The water tests ok,everything within expected ranges,I swapped to granular food temp so as to see it better and get at it easier when cleaning tank.I set up as instuctions show except I have 2 carbon pads on top of the coarse foam pad,and 2 fine pads ontop of the carbon pads.

Hmmmmm interesting.

I would try raising the inlet to 3 or 4 inches above the gravel/and maybe clear the plants a little from around it. I would also not feed the fish for a few days (say 4) and see how the filter is doing.

Daft question. when you clean the filter media, how are you doing it?

If the filter is able to filter out that much gunk, it has to come from somewhere (in such a short period) Have you got the media the right way round inside the filter (does it have a mix of sponge/ceramic/porous media?

Your description of the filter contents has me interested now. Is it possible that you have things packed in a bit tighter than is intended? I have found that the last bit causing a tight pack in a filter can severely reduce the flow through that filter. When things are a bit loose, flows are always better.

Your description of the filter contents has me interested now. Is it possible that you have things packed in a bit tighter than is intended? I have found that the last bit causing a tight pack in a filter can severely reduce the flow through that filter. When things are a bit loose, flows are always better.

I tried running filter with just coarse foam and carbon pad but it made no difference.

I have decide to do a full strip down over weekend. If problem returns after I will try and contact Hydor for their advice. :crazy:

Did full strip down of tank,cleaned evrything,reassembled and filled.After checking water paramiters I re introduced fish.I dont know what it was but within 6 hours my Peppered catfish were spawning, so something must have been wrong with tank.

Hey,
Since the strip down everything has appeared ok,Catfish spawned the following day-eggs now hatched,1 f/male Guppy had about 14 young on Monday.The filter is running ok with only slight drop in turnover. :hyper: :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back