Power blue dwarf gourami NOT DOING GOOD NEED HELP

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vanessadengler

Reaction score
hey so I noticed one of my dwarf gouramis not swimming very well recently for about. a couple of days now and it started to get really bed to where he is just floating upwards near the top of the tank in a diagonal way and when he try to swim him tail is facing down. How can I help him and what can I do to make sure it don't happen to any of my other fish? I put him in a separate tank right now.
Photo on 4-27-21 at 8.27 PM.jpg

Here's a template to fill in which might help someone diagnose your gourami and speed up any questions one might have,

Tank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Tank size: 10 gallons
tank age: about 2 months
pH: 7.8
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:0
kH:idk
gH:idk
tank temp:73

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
a couple of days now and it started to get really bed to where he is just floating upwards near the top of the tank in a diagonal way and when he try to swim him tail is facing down. How can I help him and what can I do to make sure it don't happen to any of my other fish? I put him in a separate tank right now.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:every week and a half

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: no just the normal stuff

Tank inhabitants: zebra danios, snails, bristle nose pelco, and powder bule dwarf gourami

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):no

Exposure to chemicals:no

Any signs of illness ither than mentioned? No white spots? Red gills? Do you add dechlorniated water only to the tanks? I think it sounds like swimbladder

when he try’s to swim it’s like not straight. no i don’t see and white or redness. i made sure i decholrnaiyed the water
DF08F0F6-BE65-4E14-8BC9-C12CB09766AD.jpeg

Any signs of illness ither than mentioned? No white spots? Red gills? Do you add dechlorniated water only to the tanks? I think it sounds like swimbladder

I would first try fasting, I heard this work for a few people who had fish with swimbladder. I've also read about how peas are a good fiber laxative, after the fasting. Just give him a day without food and someone might come up with another solution by then. Monitor water parameters and use a heater if you have one for the tank. I'm not sure what size it is but it looks maybe 5gallons so just be sure the heater is appropriate for the tank

okay thank you so much i won’t feed him for a day and see if he gets better

okay thank you so much i won’t feed him for a day and see if he gets better
Maybe cut off feeding for two or even three days, fish can go a couple of weeks without food and be okay. I agree with Porsha on the pea, make sure it is taken out of the shell first before you feed the fish too

Maybe cut off feeding for two or even three days, fish can go a couple of weeks without food and be okay. I agree with Porsha on the pea, make sure it is taken out of the shell first before you feed the fish too
I don't exactly understand how starving / fasting a fish might solve a swimbladder issue.

If the swimbladder is caused by an enlarged stomach or intestine fasting will clear up constipation, as those two things effect the swimbladder. The pea diet also helps clear out any blockage. It is a common problem that causes swimbladder and also the safest first treatment as it wont starve them to death to just miss a couple meals. Many people even fast their healthy fish which can help prevent reoccurring swimbladder, as well as maintaining clean water and stable parameters

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back