The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I was made an offer for discounted equipment in exchange for reviews by a recently started aquarium equipment that is pretty close to me (geographically).

I have never used a powered to add water movement, as I usually use air stones and air pumps instead.

How many gallons per hour for what sized tanks? I am looking for a 29 gallon, 55 gallon, 80 and 90 gallon.

Depends on the fish primarily - eg if you have danios in the 55, 80 or 90 you could go pretty high as they will appreciate it but if you have anything like Angel Fish, Gourami or some types of Tetra probably less so.

On average you would probably be able to match the flow rate of your filter and add it in the opposite diagonal corner to create your full return flow - eg if your filter is back left have the power head front right.

Wills

Thank you! I did not realize that they needed a certain placement, and one of the tanks will have danio. I will get a higher flow powerhead for that tank.

Thank you! I did not realize that they needed a certain placement, and one of the tanks will have danio. I will get a higher flow powerhead for that tank.
Its not essential but its best to place them with a purpose, eg keep the flow going back to your inlet, pointing at the surface for aggitation and gas exchange or low down to move poop and other waste moving towards the inlet.

Just be careful with any that are over powerful. I have a really tiny one but its max output is 6000lph! The lowest setting is a little over 3000 which I used for a while but just way OP for me. Saving it for when I have a bigger tank again though :).

Wills

The ones I am looking at are adjustable, with buttons for power level. I am going to get several, to give them a range of reviews on the website. We'll have to see how much I like them, as opposed to the airstones I usually use.

What fish do you have in the tank?
Most fish don't come from fast flowing water, and whilst they might encounter fast flowing water sometimes, they usually live in the calmer deeper pools with less current.

Never have the power head on full to start with and only run it for a short time (5-10 minutes) initially. Slowly increase the run time if the fish can handle the water movement.

Make sure you have a prefilter/ screen over the intake so you don't suck up any fish.

I wanted to add one to my 30 gallon tank, with whiteskirts and leopard danio, and one in a fancy goldfish/white cloud 90 gallon. Another for my 29 gallon dwarf chain loach and oto tank.

fancy goldfish can't swim properly and should not be forced to deal with a power head.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back