Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MissClaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all, I know this sounds weird but ever since I have had my gourami angus his condition has seemed to change. He still seems happy, eats and flares his fins now and then but ive noticed his head/face area change. His nose is more pointy and more defined, like the muscles are collapsing around his face...his body still seems fine.
Does anyone know what this is? Ive heard of something called hole in head...but its not a hole...its more like sunken skin and defined edges :dunno:
This is really hard to describe because I have no idea what Im talking about - I hope you do!

I drew a picture of before and after.... :lol:
Not sure if this is of any help because I cant draw :p

Attachments

• gourami.JPG
    gourami.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 93
:lol: your picture cracks me up! i dont know alot about goramis but perhaps its changeing because it was young when u bought it? or maybe its prepareing to mate with another gourami? what other fihs do u keep with it?

no its not mating......otherwise my red male gourami might be a tad scared! haha

It looks like, its turning into a grandpa :/

I wish I knew what it was!!

ehhh...sry i cant help -_- i ope it not serious, he doesn't sound like its bothering him to much togh maybe juts watch him ;)

I'd say it sounds like older age, the same thing happened to my dwarf gourami. The hump on the head often becomes more pronounced as they get older. :)

By the way, nice picture. You CAN draw. :nod: :thumbs:

Unfortunatly Dwarf Gouramis can suffer from TB and from tumours growing because of the TB.

I think i heard this was because of excessive in-breeding within the species.

Obviously without pictures it is hard to tell, but this is 1 possibility.

Ben

http://www.4qd.org/Aqua/disease/tb.html

A very good link which explains the disease.

I think i heard this was because of excessive in-breeding within the species.

Sadly thats right, a side effect of all the new colour forms avaliable on the market is the diseases these fish now carry which has led to many stores refusing to carry them.

Hi MissClaire

Fish TB is tuberculous, a disease which can be transmitted to humans. Unfortunately, due to mass breeding by unscrupulous industrial breeders, it us becoming less unusual among gouramis than it once was. :/

However, in view of the other problems you are experiencing at this time, I wouldn't worry about it. :no:

Just a quick clarification.

Tuberculosis is a human disease cause by Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. It mainly infects the lungs, but can affect almost any part of the body and destroys whatever it infects.

There are many types of mycobacteria. The others are generally not a threat to humans who have properly functioning immune systems. But people with HIV or on immunosuppressant medications can get infected with other types of mycobacteria.

The two fish mycobacteria that we hear most about are mycobacteria marinum and mycobacterium piscium, but there are others. These cause Fish "Tuberculosis". Which is a slowly progressive, infectious disease. Generally it gets into the organs and bones. Often the fish will become deformed, waste and die.

All mycobacteria are difficult to treat, human or fish. The only appropriate antbiotics available for fish that will cover mycobacteria is kinamycin, which is very toxic and minocycline. Generally, a combination of antibiotics is used to treat mycobacteria in humans, usually 3 or more.

Now as for fish to human transmission, you will not get tuberculosis from a fish infected with mycobacteria. What you might get is a nasty rash. People with immune system problems should not be shoving their hands into aquariums. Healthy people should be careful if they have any skin breaks. An untreated mycobacteria marinum rash can progress into bones, especially in people with poor immune function.

Here's a photo of a person on immunosupressant medication who had been wading in water while bird watching. Cultures from the lumps grew mycobacterium marinum.

LSmall

Attachments

• MMarinum1.JPG
    MMarinum1.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 87

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back