Powder blue dwarf gourami died

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had bad experience with dwarf gouramis. Are they very sensitive?
They are very slow as compared to opaline and banded gourami.
When i brought him. I kept him 3 days in 8 gallon tank and feeding with mosquito larvae. And then i kept him in main tank where 2 zebra danios and 8 small swordtails (3cm) are there. At first he was constantly hiding and after 2 days he died.
I changed water before 6 days from tank.
What could be the cause of his death?

They can get the iridovirus which has no cure. This is why I would never buy one. (Other than the fact that I find them to be too bright and flashy lol)
Really, it could be anything, from shock to water parameter issues, to getting a sick fish.
Did you check the water parameters after he died to see if that could be the cause? The other fish yo have are hardy fish, so they may be able to withstand parameters other fish can't.

Dwarf Gouramis are inbred and regularly carry Tuberculosis (TB) and the Iridovirus. Neither of which can be treated or even identified until the fish is dying or dead.

It's possible the gourami had the iridovirus and was run down and just wasn't strong enough to survive the move to your tanks.

If there is a major difference in water quality between your place and the shop you bought it from, that will cause problems.

If the fish only just came into the shop a day or two before you got it, the fish would have bene suffering from major stress. The following link has info about what aquarium fish go through to get to your house.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/fish-importing-from-the-farm-to-the-home.451553/#post-3813924

The most likely reason the fish died was stress but without pictures and a necropsy (fish autopsy) it is impossible to say.

I've also read that since they are a little shy they should be purchased in pairs - two males together OK they'll just be good buddies.

2 male gouramis usually fight unless you have lots of plants in the tank.

I just read two books that said two males of this species will get along just fine - If I get two males I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens but these are very peaceful fish. I have about 20 or so plants in the tank. But I left one area wide open so the schooling fishes could school.

YES! I used to keep Dwarf Gourami (Powder blue, flame, reg. Etc.) and they are SUPER sensitive! (In my opinion) they need “perfect” water parameters, and a correct size tank.

I agree with @Colin_T , 2 males usually fight, unless they have a correct size tank and lot of plants/ cover. :)

Dwarf Gouramis are inbred and regularly carry Tuberculosis (TB) and the Iridovirus. Neither of which can be treated or even identified until the fish is dying or dead.

It's possible the gourami had the iridovirus and was run down and just wasn't strong enough to survive the move to your tanks.

If there is a major difference in water quality between your place and the shop you bought it from, that will cause problems.

If the fish only just came into the shop a day or two before you got it, the fish would have bene suffering from major stress. The following link has info about what aquarium fish go through to get to your house.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/fish-importing-from-the-farm-to-the-home.451553/#post-3813924

The most likely reason the fish died was stress but without pictures and a necropsy (fish autopsy) it is impossible to say.
Now i brought golden gourami today.
But i have very good experience with banded gourami. It is very hardy fish. It doesnt need that much maintenance.
Lets see how golden gourami do.

Cool! Way me please see some pictures? :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back