Pothos

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey plant people.

Can I get your opinion on using pothos in your tank to help reduce nitrate levels?

I've heard negative and positive things about it.

Most people usually put them in their filters (hang on backs). Pothos will die if placed underwater and are toxic to many house pets such as dogs and cats.

Most people usually put them in their filters (hang on backs). Pothos will die if placed underwater and are toxic to many house pets such as dogs and cats.
Yeah I know you need to place only the roots in the water. I don't have dogs or cats...just fish :)

I think having the roots underwater won't pose a problem for fish.

I'll begin by saying that this is my personal opinion as opposed to scientific fact. It is only fair that you know this.

Any plant that is poisonous to animals or humans is likely going to be a risk for fish. The roots are in the water, and if fish should bite or eat them...or the roots may exude substances. I would not risk this. I have read that Philodrendon should never be used like this (roots in tank water) for reasons of poisoning the fish over time. This is certainly something I would not do or advise.

Also keeping mind that they are an invasive exotic plant, so if you choose to use it, please do not discard some place outside where it can possibly take root and run rampant.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back