Pothos Plant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just thought I would tell you all the results of adding the pothos plant to the 55 gallon, in reference to nitrate reduction.

It has not reduced the nitrates in the tank at all as far as I can tell. And the roots are not growing longer at all. But the fish love nibbling on the roots. So it was not a total loss adding it. :)

If the plant isn't growing it will not be using any nutrients.

20160930_172657.jpg
I took some of this off the wife's plant

I don't know why it is not really growing. The rest of the plants in the tank are doing really good.

Do you think it's getting enough nutrients from the tank water?

Your other plants are no doubt drawing their requirements primarily from the substrate?

It is likely not getting enough light. If your plants are growing in the tank you likely have enough nutrients.

It seems to have plenty of light. The light requirement of the plant is low anyway. I have a lot of these plants and they all thrive nicely in ambient light in the room. I should not think that would be the problem. But obviously there is a problem of some kind. The plant has produced more leaves, so I think it is growing in that respect, but root wise, it is doing nothing. I use the Flourish Comprehensive liquid. Maybe I am not using enough.

I was kind of wondering how I was going to like the roots hanging down in the tank, but so far they have not grown at all, they appear the same size as the day I put the plant in the tank. So I really don't know what the issue is.

May have to rethink it...

The next time you cycle water out of the tank put some of the wastewater in a glass. put the plant in the glass and move it to a place with brighter light. That will tell you if light is the issue.

I like the idea of the Pothos plant helping with your Nitrates.
But, not for me.
Just checked the net and find that the plant is toxic for cats.
March...

I don't know why it is not really growing. The rest of the plants in the tank are doing really good.
I've actually worked in floral for over a year and pothos were one of our most popular "foliage" plants. I've never heard of using it as a tank plant but I know that keeping the roots submerged constantly can create root rot and then result in killing the plant. They also require soil. As for the lighting these plants like bright, indirect light. As I've said I've never used the plant in a tank, but any time another coworker would water and I'd find a dying pothos the culprit was always excess water they failed to drain from the pot after watering. Good luck!

That is weird that you should say that. My mom has had these plants for years and they sit in a room with no bright light at all and do great. I have several of them in my bathroom and they just get the light that comes in through narrow windows and none of it is bright really. They are doing great and they are just cuts of my moms plants in vases of water. So that makes no sense at all to me.

After doing a lot of reading I found that a lot of people put the roots of the plant in their tanks. I have seen some pictures that not only had the roots in the water, but leaves as well. So that just totally confuses me LOL

I like the idea of the Pothos plant helping with your Nitrates.
But, not for me.
Just checked the net and find that the plant is toxic for cats.
March...

Any plant that does well in low ambient light, grows fast and likes a lot of water should works. So it is just a mater of finding one that is safe for the cat. However that said my parents have Pothos plant and a cat. I never saw the cat take any interest in the plant

I've actually worked in floral for over a year and pothos were one of our most popular "foliage" plants. I've never heard of using it as a tank plant but I know that keeping the roots submerged constantly can create root rot and then result in killing the plant. They also require soil.

The popular aquarium plant Anubias is a close relative of the pathos plant. Also I have seen a photos plant growing in gar of water (no soil) for years without any sign of root rot. Also Anubias like occasional low water levels so that its flower can get above the water surface. The flower will not go to seed if it is submerged. It also will not mind some leaves out of the water as long as it's roots stay wet

Last edited:
It actually gets light from the room in general as well as the tank lights. I have the glass tops and so the light from the tank shines on the plant. But I will try that. I know that these plants do well without a lot of bright light. But maybe that is still the issue. I also know that they do not need dirt but will grow in a vase of water. I believe that the roots will indeed rot in dirt that is over watered, which makes no sense when you think about it growing well in just water, but, be that as it may, it is true .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back