Potential erratic swimming in betta fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kat1053

Reaction score
I bought a beta fish about a week ago and heā€™s doing very well other than this one swimming pattern Iā€™ve noticed. heā€™ll go to one side or corner of the tank and go side to side quite quickly along the glass, I know that erratic swimming can be a sign of bad water quality but ive been testing the water every day since I got him and everythingā€™s normal, Iā€™m not too sure what else it could be, he looks physically healthy like his fins and his scales are nice and bright. There is a lighter green spot on one side but that was there when I got him so I figured it was just cool colouring but Iā€™m not sure. I canā€™t seem to figure out how to link a video here so I canā€™t show any clips. Iā€™ll put a photo or two though in case anyone can spot any physical symptoms of anything. it could be normal for all I know I am just not used to their body language yet. I am also quite paranoid so I could be mistaking it for nothing too haha but Iā€™m not really sure since this is my first fish I just really want to do this right.

Attachments

• 80ABCE47-34F1-47AA-ADA1-BFB45BF747F8.png
    80ABCE47-34F1-47AA-ADA1-BFB45BF747F8.png
    426.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 2FC658FD-9A05-44D8-AC60-1967463D583B.jpeg
    2FC658FD-9A05-44D8-AC60-1967463D583B.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 000E0897-D01C-4D94-A2BC-C2CCE324B09E.png
    000E0897-D01C-4D94-A2BC-C2CCE324B09E.png
    422 KB · Views: 88
"normal" water means no ammonia or nitrite right? hes a beautiful fella. maybe he just wants to say hi to you as i know some bettas get attached to their owner.

"normal" water means no ammonia or nitrite right? hes a beautiful fella. maybe he just wants to say hi to you as i know some bettas get attached to their owner.
Yes those are both near nothing as far as I can tell, the alkalinity might be a tiny little bit low but according to what Iā€™ve read online it doesnā€™t harm the fish, Iā€™ll keep an eye on him anyways and watch out for any other concerning behaviour Iā€™ve only had him for like a week

Yes those are both near nothing as far as I can tell, the alkalinity might be a tiny little bit low but according to what Iā€™ve read online it doesnā€™t harm the fish, Iā€™ll keep an eye on him anyways and watch out for any other concerning behaviour Iā€™ve only had him for like a week
I use the test strips to test the water but I know theyā€™re not entirely accurate, on my next paycheck Iā€™m going to buy the liquid tester master pack or whatever itā€™s called so I can be a little more accurate haha

You're right, test strips are pretty useless. Liquid tests are must better. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 with nitrates kept below 20. Waterchanges are a must immediately when ammonia and nitrite are present.

From the pictures, it looks as if there isn't a background on the tank? A background will help him feel more secure, as will floating plants. He could be feeling stressed.

Do you know the GH of your water? How long has the tank been set up?

Video of the fish moving?

He could be just exploring the tank or reacting to his reflection.

Make sure you do big regular water changes to keep the tank clean.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The vid upload function on this site doesn't work, but you can upload a video to youtube then share the link here! People will be able to see whether he's flaring at his reflection or is perhaps stressed out if they can see him in motion.

Beautiful betta!

Agree, he's beautiful! ā™”
I agree he may be spazzing out at his reflection. Can you reposition the lighting in the room? Is he in a decent sized tank?
Is there loud music or any environmental stressors? What is the water flow like? Is he perhaps struggling with a strong current from the filter?
I put a couple of potted plants on each side of my betta's tank and lot's of plants inside and he was pretty chill. Also plants floating on top are perfect.

If there is flaring then I think he thinks he sees another him!

First betta...awww ā™”

I agree he may be spazzing out at his reflection. Can you reposition the lighting in the room? Is he in a decent sized tank?
Is there loud music or any environmental stressors? What is the water flow like? Is he perhaps struggling with a strong current from the filter?
I put a couple of potted plants on each side of my betta's tank and lot's of plants inside and he was pretty chill. Also plants floating on top are perfect.

First betta...awww ā™”
i like amazon sword. back when i had a hob filter my guppies would osmtimes get stuck in the current and freak out.

You're right, test strips are pretty useless. Liquid tests are must better. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0 with nitrates kept below 20. Waterchanges are a must immediately when ammonia and nitrite are present.

From the pictures, it looks as if there isn't a background on the tank? A background will help him feel more secure, as will floating plants. He could be feeling stressed.

Do you know the GH of your water? How long has the tank been set up?
Yeah, I donā€™t have a background on the tank, I put some of my extra plants behind the tank temporarily to help him feel like he has more plant coverage but what would you suggest for a background? I plan on getting some floating live plants maybe some water spangles? Or maybe amazon frogbit, I still have to do some more research on what would be best but those are the top two for now. I put in two moss balls today and he seems to really like them haha he keeps poking them around. According to the test strips the water is soft (around 25 ppm) I know they arenā€™t accurate though I just ordered some liquid testers they should be here in less than a week. Iā€™ve had the tank fully set up for about two weeks and the fish for around 5 days, I just did a partial water change today (around 30-40%) and I did one two days ago as well. He honestly seems to have calmed down quite a bit like he hasnā€™t gone to the side of the tank at all since I posted this. He seems to hang around the top of the tank a lot more now just chilling. I did move the plants around a little bit too Iā€™m not sure if that may have effected anything. But yeah the test strips say nitrite and ammonia are at 0 and nitrate is below 20, Iā€™m not super concerned any more just because he did stop doing the erratic swimming everything seems all good as far as I can tell haha.

Yeah, I donā€™t have a background on the tank, I put some of my extra plants behind the tank temporarily to help him feel like he has more plant coverage but what would you suggest for a background? I plan on getting some floating live plants maybe some water spangles? Or maybe amazon frogbit, I still have to do some more research on what would be best but those are the top two for now. I put in two moss balls today and he seems to really like them haha he keeps poking them around. According to the test strips the water is soft (around 25 ppm) I know they arenā€™t accurate though I just ordered some liquid testers they should be here in less than a week. Iā€™ve had the tank fully set up for about two weeks and the fish for around 5 days, I just did a partial water change today (around 30-40%) and I did one two days ago as well. He honestly seems to have calmed down quite a bit like he hasnā€™t gone to the side of the tank at all since I posted this. He seems to hang around the top of the tank a lot more now just chilling. I did move the plants around a little bit too Iā€™m not sure if that may have effected anything. But yeah the test strips say nitrite and ammonia are at 0 and nitrate is below 20, Iā€™m not super concerned any more just because he did stop doing the erratic swimming everything seems all good as far as I can tell haha.
Eeeexcellent!

First betta...awww ā™”
There arenā€™t any loud noises other than the sound of the filter which isnā€™t too bad, I used to have one of those waterfall filters but I quickly switched it out for a sponge filter when I saw he was getting pushed around a lot by it, I put the sponge filter in for about a day before I took the other filter out (so I had both filters running but I put a bit of sponge in front of the waterfall one so the current was a little less strong) heā€™s in a 5.5 gallon tank because I just had it from fish my mom used to own, but I plan on buying him a 10 gallon eventually and using the 5 gallon for a couple dwarf frogs :) I also plan on getting some floating plants but I still have to do more research on care for them

I bought a beta fish about a week ago and heā€™s doing very well other than this one swimming pattern Iā€™ve noticed. heā€™ll go to one side or corner of the tank and go side to side quite quickly along the glass, I know that erratic swimming can be a sign of bad water quality but ive been testing the water every day since I got him and everythingā€™s normal, Iā€™m not too sure what else it could be, he looks physically healthy like his fins and his scales are nice and bright. There is a lighter green spot on one side but that was there when I got him so I figured it was just cool colouring but Iā€™m not sure. I canā€™t seem to figure out how to link a video here so I canā€™t show any clips. Iā€™ll put a photo or two though in case anyone can spot any physical symptoms of anything. it could be normal for all I know I am just not used to their body language yet. I am also quite paranoid so I could be mistaking it for nothing too haha but Iā€™m not really sure since this is my first fish I just really want to do this right.
Thanks so much for everyoneā€™s help! Youā€™re all so nice! I just want to make sure he has the best life possible haha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back