Potamotrygon Reticulatus - Tank Mates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I've seen some young 4-5 inch specimens of the above for sale on line

They have males and females available at about £40 each with £30 same day delivery

I have searched o here and read the excellent pinned thread for keeping stingrays.

I have a 60" x30 x24 tank spare and its 30 from front to back which I hope is big enough well the pinned thread seems to say so when discussing different speices

I have never kept any kind of stingray and am really asking the experienced keepers of these fish, would that tank really be big enough for a pair for life? or would I be doing the fish a disservice? I can't get a bigger tank for another yr or so due to space in my fish house.

also if I had a pair for life could I have a few silver dollars as tank mates as I keep a shoal already and am a huge fan of them. what other fish could I keep as alternatives to add just a little more life in there or would the stingrays be ebnough. again the pinned thread said a pair in my tank size plus a few tank mates?

I haven't bought the fish so haven't committed myself but would love to keep these fish should I be able to house them

I look forward to your resposnses

cheers simon

just been looking at you tube and seen a lovely tank with discus in? I'maware that a lack of objects in the tank to help rays could be detrimental to happiness of discus that like cover

oscars? too big and too messy in a tank of my size alongside the rays? would oscars be too aggressive for rays?

would a shoal of congo tetras be a risk with the size of the tetras? would they end upas food?

my flagtail and distochidus? too aggressive and picky and maybe rasp atrays mucus?

just thinking!! lol

tank is big enough, assuming they are retic's. make sure they are feeding before you buy, especially if wild caught.

dollars should be ok

as will disto & flagtail as well as most non aggressive medium cichlids.

Discus may be ok, or may end up as food when the retics grow.( only when about 12"+)

congo's=fresh food

tank is big enough, assuming they are retic's. make sure they are feeding before you buy, especially if wild caught.

dollars should be ok

as will disto & flagtail as well as most non aggressive medium cichlids.

Discus may be ok, or may end up as food when the retics grow.( only when about 12"+)

congo's=fresh food

I've noticed theres confusion over names. am I rigt n assuming reticulatus doesn;t exist anymore? what are they correctly known as now? and how do I check they are the right ones?

No ray expert, but I believe Potamotrygon orbygini is the valid name now.

I've heard bad reports about flag tails and rays, the flag tails sucking at the rays and causing them damage, I wouldn't risk it. I'd have thought the congo tetras would end up as food.

I'd wait until some people with ray knowledge first hand comes along such as CFC or someone, they should be able to help out alot.

flagtails are usually fine with rays, and are the prefered way of dealing with algae in ray tanks.

retic is still a valid name and species, the problems are that there are so many pattern variants and similar appearing species that ID can be difficult, even for experts. this is further compounded when the rays are small.

My motoro's breed 3-4x a year....does that count as experience enough? :p :S :S :S

Sorry if I sounded like I questioned your judgement/experience, its just I know CFC has rays and knows about them.

I am hesitant about using flagtails with rays from accounts of people who have them rasping at their rays, and because of pictures like these that show the damage they can do:
rayfs8.jpg

From my basic reading it appears the mix of flagtail/rays is dependant on luck and personality of individual fish, and I wouldn't personally risk it.

I was taking the P. orbygini from THIS topic where CFC says 'Most teacup rays are in fact Potamotrygon orbygini ( formerly Potamotrygon reticulatus )', and fishbase has reticulatus as a synonym of orbygini thats no longer valid.

well I'll wait and see if any further responses from this thread do a little more reading and then go for it

I'll probably get the pair of rays and have a shoal of silver dollars in there and leave it at that

well I'll wait and see if any further responses from this thread do a little more reading and then go for it

I'll probably get the pair of rays and have a shoal of silver dollars in there and leave it at that

You should be ok with something like a large Severum or two, or even Dats or an asian aro

You should be ok with something like a large Severum or two, or even Dats or an asian aro

the aro would be far too big for my tank :blink:

my bad, only skimmed through and read that as 6'x30"x24"

my bad, only skimmed through and read that as 6'x30"x24"

Mark7616 Had a flagtail with his rays and also a shoal of silver dollars, hell he even had some bichirs at one point and they all got on well.

Having a flagtail with rays didn't work for me, the flagtail developed a taste for ray skin and started feasting on them at every oppertunity, some people have more luck with the combination but I've seen and heard of it often enough not to risk keeping them together myself.
Distichodus are an absolute no no, large specimins have the reputation of biting rays eyes off

Other tankmates are very dependant on tank size, I have mine in the 900g with some huge aggressive fish but with 48 square feet of footprint there is enough room for everyone and enough water to dilute waste. In a smaller tank large messy fish like Oscars and similar sized Cichlids could cause water quality issues unless twice weekly water changes were done. Most medium sized non aggressive tankmates can work.

There is no valid species called Potamotrygon reticulatus http://www.fishbase.org/NomenClature/Scien...amp;backstep=-2

Having a flagtail with rays didn't work for me, the flagtail developed a taste for ray skin and started feasting on them at every oppertunity, some people have more luck with the combination but I've seen and heard of it often enough not to risk keeping them together myself.
Distichodus are an absolute no no, large specimins have the reputation of biting rays eyes off

Other tankmates are very dependant on tank size, I have mine in the 900g with some huge aggressive fish but with 48 square feet of footprint there is enough room for everyone and enough water to dilute waste. In a smaller tank large messy fish like Oscars and similar sized Cichlids could cause water quality issues unless twice weekly water changes were done. Most medium sized non aggressive tankmates can work.

There is no valid species called Potamotrygon reticulatus [URL="http://www.fishbase.org/NomenClature/Scien...amp;backstep=-2"]http://www.fishbase.org/NomenClature/Scien...amp;backstep=-2[/URL]

cheers CFC

I was hoping for a reply frm you. did you look at the pic? does it look like a Orgybini(?) to you?

cheers fr the link

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back