Possibly Sick Kribensis?!?!?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Malex530

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a female kribensis who has started hiding in the cave. This morning when she was out it looked like she had dropsy. A few scales are coming off as well as a lot of mucus. The fins might have fin rot a they look cut up. She is breathing very rapidly. I cant get any pictures as she wont come out of the cave. Ammonia nitrite and nitrate are 0 (first time). Ph is 7.4. Water changes i do 25% every week. Heavily planted tank. Please help!

Is everything at 0ppm?
did you cycle the tank? expand, etc etc.
any new fish?
what other fish in the tank? how big is the tank?
do you treat the water before adding it into the tank?

Try to get a pic, but don't stress her if you can't. IMO i would treat with metaflex and pimaflex, to give something as help. If you have another tank ready with a heater and bubblier i would put her in there with the aquarium water from your main tank. just in case it is contagious.
if she doesn't come out, and is going faster then you might not be able to do anything.

BerryAttack said:
Is everything at 0ppm?
did you cycle the tank? expand, etc etc.
any new fish?
what other fish in the tank? how big is the tank?
do you treat the water before adding it into the tank?

Try to get a pic, but don't stress her if you can't. IMO i would treat with metaflex and pimaflex, to give something as help. If you have another tank ready with a heater and bubblier i would put her in there with the aquarium water from your main tank. just in case it is contagious.
if she doesn't come out, and is going faster then you might not be able to do anything.
Everything at 0ppm. Cycled the tank about 3 years ago for a month. No new fish. Two angelfish 5 tetras 2 german ram a bristlenose 2 kribensis (including the sick one) and a redtail shark . The angels are moving to a bigger tank soon. The entire aquarium is 40 gallons. Yes i treat the water before i add it. I have a 10 gallon but no filter 
noexpression.gif
But i could make one with the bioballs and sponge. 

over stock IMO, also redtail sharks are very aggressive when reaching maturity. they can be kept with other fish at a young age, but usually the buyers aren't informed that they will attack bottom dwelling fish. they create a territory etc etc. usually are kept with cichlids.

if she is being attacked then i would say that the shark is the one at fault. put her in the 10 gallon, with a bubblier, lots of hiding spaces and a heater. you don't need to filter it as you can do water changes, which will be very important to keep the water quality up because she isn't doing so good. keep the cave that she is in to the 10 gallon so she has something familiar.
treat with either metaflex and pimaflex or methylene blue. now with the methylene i would go with that first, it'll kill any live plants so make sure you don't put that in if you have live plants... so the 10 gallon. also with the blue you can't really over dose it... first do a 50% water change so that it'll be 50% of old aquarium water and 50% new (having a bubblier and heater is crucial), then add the drops. then the next day add another 10 drops.

now the german rams and kribensis when older might have some issues with territory. just a thought for the future.

BerryAttack said:
over stock IMO, also redtail sharks are very aggressive when reaching maturity. they can be kept with other fish at a young age, but usually the buyers aren't informed that they will attack bottom dwelling fish. they create a territory etc etc. usually are kept with cichlids.

if she is being attacked then i would say that the shark is the one at fault. put her in the 10 gallon, with a bubblier, lots of hiding spaces and a heater. you don't need to filter it as you can do water changes, which will be very important to keep the water quality up because she isn't doing so good. keep the cave that she is in to the 10 gallon so she has something familiar.
treat with either metaflex and pimaflex or methylene blue. now with the methylene i would go with that first, it'll kill any live plants so make sure you don't put that in if you have live plants... so the 10 gallon. also with the blue you can't really over dose it... first do a 50% water change so that it'll be 50% of old aquarium water and 50% new (having a bubblier and heater is crucial), then add the drops. then the next day add another 10 drops.

now the german rams and kribensis when older might have some issues with territory. just a thought for the future.

It died the day after i started treatment.......Very sad. I am thinking of just stopping African cichlids right now. Not very pleasant. 

very sorry for your loss. hope it doesn't happen again. just give it some time before rehoming fish, usually after they are rehomed you want them back :p all the best.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back