Possibly fungus

Dcollins

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I was hoping to get a few second oppinions on my synodontis eurpterus. My first guess was fungus but it doesn't look fluffy or soft. It kinds does in the pictures but in person it looks like a calus or something. It usually is in it's cave all the time but for some reason today started hanging out on the glass. That's the only reason I noticed it. If someone recognizes this as something other than fungus I would love to hear about it. Otherwise I'll be picking up some antifungal tomorrow and cleaning the tank.

IMG_20180529_231050.jpg
Here's the picture

Attachments

• IMG_20180529_222832025.jpg
    IMG_20180529_222832025.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Another picture

Attachments

• IMG_20180529_222756318.jpg
    IMG_20180529_222756318.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 265
Nobody replied to this yet? I'm sorry.

That certainly looks fungal (or possibly bacterial) to me, but I'm not sure, and it's best to hold off on treatment until you are sure what you're treating. Fish don't exactly respond well to medication they don't need. I'm mostly responding to bump your topic, in hopes that someone who knows more about this sees it. When in doubt, though, do a water change.

In addition to the top view, a side view would be easier to id the problem. But if it has white fluffy bits sticking up from the body then it is fungus. However, it looks like a graze where the skin has been taken off.

Bacterial infections are red and usually look inflamed, whereas fungus is white fluffy.

As long as the wound does not develop white fluffy stuff on it, or go red, I would leave it and just monitor it over the next few days. If the water is clean and the fish healthy, it should be able to heal without any medication.

On a side note, this is the first time I have seen this post and it was probably in the holding area to be checked. All new members have their first post checked before the thread is made live. Not helpful to you so I'm sorry about the late response :)

Thats ok I appreciate any help. I already started tetra lifeguard but given your advice I guess I will stop the 5 day treatment and do the post medication water change. I've only used two doses so far.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back