Possible Restart...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xxEMOxLIZZARDxx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, I am getting frustrated. Woke up this morning to five dead fish in the tank. Water parameters are still good. 0.0ppm ammonia, 0.0ppm Nitrite and 5.0ppm Nitrate. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
20230207_170742.jpg

If I just let the fish die and redo the tank, what species should I look for? I wanted to go with mollies and platies as they are somewhat heavier poopers and I need that to set up the aquaponic part of my tank.

I've got a thirty gallon tank so I can't do goldfish or discus or pleco's.

Do you have any fish left? If so how many?
If IIRC you have very soft water which is not suitable for livebearers. I also seen to remember that at some point you ended up with a fish in cycle.
In order for someone to recommend species please post all your water parameters in one place so someone can advise. We would need to know GH, KH as well as pH. In the meantime I would focus on getting the plants where you want them to be. It is also a good opportunity to ensure that your tank is fully cycled and ready before trying again. If you still have fish this should go better with the lighter load.
IMO its best to be patient, do your research and give yourself the best possible chance of success

What are the fish that died?
How long have they been in the tank?
Did you verify it was completely cycled?
Did you add anything new to the tank (even a water change)?
Did you spray any chemicals near the tank?

Sorry for your loss.

Do you have any fish left? If so how many?
If IIRC you have very soft water which is not suitable for livebearers. I also seen to remember that at some point you ended up with a fish in cycle.
In order for someone to recommend species please post all your water parameters in one place so someone can advise. We would need to know GH, KH as well as pH. In the meantime I would focus on getting the plants where you want them to be. It is also a good opportunity to ensure that your tank is fully cycled and ready before trying again. If you still have fish this should go better with the lighter load.
IMO its best to be patient, do your research and give yourself the best possible chance of success
Fish in Tank:
Mollies-4
Platies- 6
Guourami- 1
Cory Cats- 6

Water Parameters: Used API Master Freshwater Kit and Tetra EasyStrips
pH: 7.0 on low range, 7.4 on high range
Ammonia: 0.00ppm
Nitrite: 0.00ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
GH: 0-25 (very soft)
KH: 0

In the tank plants are exactly where they need to be. But i have to make sure I've got a thriving tank before I add the garden on top. Otherwise plant growth will be stunted.

What are the fish that died?
How long have they been in the tank?
Did you verify it was completely cycled?
Did you add anything new to the tank (even a water change)?
Did you spray any chemicals near the tank?

Sorry for your loss.
Fish that have died have included mollies, cory cats, and platies. The most recent five were one platy, two mollies, two cory cats.

Mollies and emerald cory cats have been in tank since Friday. Platies and julii cory cats have been in tank longer (about a month maybe at this point).

The testing I've done has shown a fully cycled tank as far as I can tell. So unless I am missing something, yes it has finished cycling.

No water changes at the moment. Only added new fish on Friday and then again on Sunday. Tested water before adding fish, 24 hours later on Saturday and then again on Sunday before getting the three replacement cory cats. I tested again Monday night and numbers were again normal.

Nothing has been near the tank chemical wise.

We did lose power for about an hour on Saturday but the tank and house stayed warm for that hour.

Use the normal range pH test, it is accurate given the GH and KH. The high range will not be accurate. And once things are good, the pH will become acidic. This is not at all a problem, but do not get fish requiring harder water--forget the livebearers completely. This is not what killed them in a couple days, but long-term it will severely weaken these fish.

When you post test results with a photo of the test tube, please have the appropriate colour card beside the tube. I've no idea what the four bottles are, which doesn't matter if your numbers are correct which I assume they are. Don't have the card behind the test tube, but just to one side so we can distinctly see the colour rectangles and the test tube colour.

Can you post a photo of the entire tank? I'm wondering if wood or rock is present, plus the plants should be seen.

What additives or substances are you using? Conditioner (which), and any other substances.

I would suspect new arrivals (unquarantined?) bringing unwanted gift diseases. That's a consistent time frame for QT deaths. A virus or bacteria arrives, the fish are stressed...

Use the normal range pH test, it is accurate given the GH and KH. The high range will not be accurate. And once things are good, the pH will become acidic. This is not at all a problem, but do not get fish requiring harder water--forget the livebearers completely. This is not what killed them in a couple days, but long-term it will severely weaken these fish.

When you post test results with a photo of the test tube, please have the appropriate colour card beside the tube. I've no idea what the four bottles are, which doesn't matter if your numbers are correct which I assume they are. Don't have the card behind the test tube, but just to one side so we can distinctly see the colour rectangles and the test tube colour.

Can you post a photo of the entire tank? I'm wondering if wood or rock is present, plus the plants should be seen.

What additives or substances are you using? Conditioner (which), and any other substances.
Sorry, I'm trying to upload in the car at the moment.

Here is a photo of the API test kit and Tetra EasyStrips color cards. The API test tube read in order on the card. So tube one is pH, tube two is ammonia, tube three is nitrite, and tube four is nitrate.
20230127_200833.jpg

20230124_195756.jpg

Hardware wise I've got two Aqueon 30 filters, 18 inch bubbler, 150 watt preset to 78 F.

Substrate is soft rounded pebble with the remains of plant substrate that was added years ago. Here is a close up of the substrate.

20230122_155522.jpg

Plants are four of the same in the tank.
20230113_114033.jpg

I'm not using any chemicals or additives.

Here is a photo of the whole tank minus fish as I don't have a full tank photo with the fish in it.
And nevermind the full tank won't load but I can get one once I'm home.

Attachments

• 20230113_114033.jpg
    20230113_114033.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 19
Two things stand out. The "plant" substrate is not safe for substrate level fish like cories. It is a bacterial issue. I will also mention that cories really must have sand, again it is a bacterial issue (even without the plant substrate), plus they cannot filter feed as they expect to.

Second, the well water...have you ever tested it to see just what is in it? There could be iron which would slowly but surely kill the fish. Perhaps other minerals. Copper for instance which can be at a safe level for humans but will kill fish.

Two things stand out. The "plant" substrate is not safe for substrate level fish like cories. It is a bacterial issue. I will also mention that cories really must have sand, again it is a bacterial issue (even without the plant substrate), plus they cannot filter feed as they expect to.

Second, the well water...have you ever tested it to see just what is in it? There could be iron which would slowly but surely kill the fish. Perhaps other minerals. Copper for instance which can be at a safe level for humans but will kill fish.
I do plan at some point to change the substrate. Just hasn't happened yet.

We had the water tested when we first bought the house like five years ago and if I remember they said there wasn't anything mineral in the water.

I do plan at some point to change the substrate. Just hasn't happened yet.

We had the water tested when we first bought the house like five years ago and if I remember they said there wasn't anything mineral in the water.

OK, but...if fish are dying as fast as you said earlier, something is causing it and every option has to be reviewed. On the well water, I would want a current analysis, just for my own safety as well as the fish's.

OK, but...if fish are dying as fast as you said earlier, something is causing it and every option has to be reviewed. On the well water, I would want a current analysis, just for my own safety as well as the fish's.
I can certainly get another test.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back