Possible Pregnant Molly Chasing Another Female?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-SPB-

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Got a female molly from lfs the other day and they said it was pregnant, all it seems to be doing at the mo is chasing another female... I'm a bit confused.

Well it sounds like it more dominate than the other fish, and as it's new the tank it's doing it best to show how dominant it is.

This should die down soon, unless it's a male.... are u sure on how to sex them your self, as it's quite easy, the male has a modifien anal fin which is used as a sexual organ, and males have a large dorsal fin.

I got some info the other day on how to sex them so its defo female, just not sure about the pregnant thing though. I'll keep an eye on her size for a while. Thanks for the reply.

Well it sounds like it more dominate than the other fish, and as it's new the tank it's doing it best to show how dominant it is.

This should die down soon, unless it's a male.... are u sure on how to sex them your self, as it's quite easy, the male has a modifien anal fin which is used as a sexual organ, and males have a large dorsal fin.

i agree with helterskelter. some one had the same thing, you want to be careful someones black mollys spine went in a L-shape :crazy:

I definatly think it's pregnant by the size of the belly, it's a lot bigger than the other females!!!. Don't know how long it will be till it drops though. I was just unsure about the chasing another female thing though.

its more than likely a dominace issue, new tank mates female or male will try be more dominate than those you already have, as said it should die down within a few days

Got a female molly from lfs the other day and they said it was pregnant, all it seems to be doing at the mo is chasing another female... I'm a bit confused.
Normal pregnancy behavior! Even mollys tht are as little as 1 week prego will display some aggression & add to that a new tank. She is still nervous & should calm down but its normal

I got some info the other day on how to sex them so its defo female, just not sure about the pregnant thing though. I'll keep an eye on her size for a while. Thanks for the reply.
U will notice easier next time, but if they said it.shes likely prego...as its pretty easy to tell after a little experience & as i said b4 this is totally normal in early or late pregnancy & as others hav pointed out ..again..shes new to the tank & may b asserting dominance. Mollies usually DONT GET NOTICEABLE Aggressive during the peckin order tho..unless they were in a over crowded tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back