Possible parasite or disease on Red Claw crab

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JHunter84

Reaction score
Hey can anyone tell me what this is on a red claw crab I just ordered? It just arrived today and I noticed this spot on it's back.. looking closer it looks like a hole.
Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190718_134636.jpg
    20190718_134636.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 270
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Does the hole stick up above the crab's shell?
If yes, it might be a barnacle.

Maybe post a few more pictures from different angles. It's interesting and weird :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Does the hole stick up above the crab's shell?
If yes, it might be a barnacle.

Maybe post a few more pictures from different angles. It's interesting and weird :)

It is raised around the edges and very hard BUT the hole looks likes it's INTO the shell... If it is a barnacle how do it get it off? I searched it and it says they don't live in freshwater... so idk.

Attachments

• 20190718_134636768.jpg
    20190718_134636768.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 124
Hi I have a pond that I’ve had for years with a bunch of tropical fish. All of a sudden these last few days I’m losing like 15 to 20 fish per day can anyone help me and tell me what to do

Hi Darrin and welcome to the forum :)

Click the link below and start a new thread there about your fish. Post pictures of them and test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.
https://www.fishforums.net/forums/tropical-fish-emergencies.2/create-thread

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until we work out what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

It is raised around the edges and very hard BUT the hole looks likes it's INTO the shell... If it is a barnacle how do it get it off? I searched it and it says they don't live in freshwater... so idk.
If the crab has been in freshwater for a while it shouldn't be a barnacle. As to what the hole is, no idea. Octopus will drill a hole into a crab shell and inject venom to kill the crab, but again, only if the crab is in salt water.

Assuming the hole is not caused by a fungus or bacterial infection, it should go when the crab moults its shell. However, it could die of an infection before that happens.

I would contact the company you got it from and ask them to replace the crab with a healthy one. Email them the pictures showing the hole and ask if they know what it is.

If the crab has been in freshwater for a while it shouldn't be a barnacle. As to what the hole is, no idea. Octopus will drill a hole into a crab shell and inject venom to kill the crab, but again, only if the crab is in salt water.

Assuming the hole is not caused by a fungus or bacterial infection, it should go when the crab moults its shell. However, it could die of an infection before that happens.

I would contact the company you got it from and ask them to replace the crab with a healthy one. Email them the pictures showing the hole and ask if they know what it is.
Colin, how do you know all this obscure stuff ? That bit about the octopus drilling a hole and injecting poison weirded me out. Fish are deadly. Jeffrey Dahmer and Pinhead would blush.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back