Possible Nano Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Blondielovesfish said:
thanks.gif
  TLM.
Yeah I wasn't going to get any Amazon Swords as after seeing some pictures of them in other tanks I soon realised they would take over lol! I've been looking into the crypts and providing I can buy some I will almost certainly  get some.
smile.png

5-6 sounds a good number. I've recently found some cheap guppies on a local online auction site and I'm now currently waiting for pictures. The person said that he has 5 male rainbow guppies and 1 male fancy tail guppy, do you think I would be able mix the fancy with the others? 

For feeding, what vegetables in particular would you recommend for them?

I'll head over to that pictorial section now and have a good look at it.
smile.png

I'd imagine crypts will be easy enough to come by in NZ - all my decent LFS have them.

The guippies will be fine together - they aren't different species, just different colour morphs.

Pretty much any veggy is fine, I've fed my peas, carrots, swede, anything really that's mashable, with the exception of potato. Since my wife doesn't salt the water that she cooks our veg in, I just take a little piece before it gets served, let it cool, (with peas, remove the shell) and then mash it under the back of a fork. You can also use cucumber, and courgette/zuchini. If you use salt, then you'd need to blanch a little piece separately, but still use a little piece of whatever you're having.

TallTree01 said:
I didn't relaize tank size was a problem for plants! After a quick doodle on google it turns out you are right again! How are you doing this?!?
smile.png

Don't worry. It's just experience. I used to have vallis in my old 65l tank, I used to have to give it a haircut every 3-4 weeks because it would just grow and grow and grow. Nightmare. I have standard swords (e.bleheri) in my 100l, and know that they would outgrow my 34l.

Anyone think to mention my thread? Yknow seeing as that's what I made it for and all :D

Tek oot.

Yes TekFish I believe Shelster did just that yesterday morning. You must have missed her post! lol

TekFish said:
Anyone think to mention my thread? Yknow seeing as that's what I made it for and all
biggrin.png

Tek oot.

Hey Tek, did you ever think to check the entire thread?
drunk.gif

Tek lol I also looked at your post before I posted, I just thought that there might be a chance and it was worth it. :)
So with the guppies is there anything more really that I should know?
Next time I'm in town I'll be sure to go to the LFS and check out their guppies and plants. :)

Oh one question about the guppies, what sort of filter flow do they like? I'm thinking about getting this one:
http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/aquananos-aquarium-corner-filter-sml/m/2629/
My current filter is an Aqua One Maxi 101F but when we bought it it was missing parts (only recently realised that after around 4 years of having it) and also the suction cups don't hold very well so the filter is almost floating until I restick (which I have to do at least once a day) so I'm thinking ^ that filter should hopefully be better! :)

One more question, with it being heavily planted would I need to add an air pump or would the plants provide enough oxygen?

I don't know that filter but it says for up to 25L so should be ok.
Don't know what flow of water guppies like, but my plakat betta doesn't seem to mind a bit of a flow whereas the bigger finned ones don't like it much at all. Since guppies' tails aren't as big comparatively speaking or as flamboyant as a bettas' they might not mind either.
The plants will use up CO2 during the day and give out oxygen but the process is reversed at night so they use up oxygen and give out CO2 tho I don't think it's enough to affect the fish unless it is particularly densely planted.

So would I need an air pump or are the plants enough? It won't have a lid (unless guppies are jumpers) so would the air the comes in be enough for the CO2?

If you mean for the plants - depends what plants you want I guess! Most of the ones available locally will probably be low maintainance ones that don't need fertilisers and added CO2. For the others if you look at the article I sent on plant profiles (the planted tank one) and click on the picture it then expands and tells what temp, suggested position in tank, difficulty, lighting, acidity, growth rate etc they prefer.

If you mean for the fish - depends what flow your filter produces and whether it causes ripples at the surface. Air bubbles in the water don't oxygenate the water - it's the ripples at the surface that do that.

Okay, yeah I meant for the fish. So would the plants photosynthesizing be enough oxygen for the fish or would I have to add additional oxygen?
Also, I've been talking to a lot of people and someone said about the Scarlet Badis fish. So I googled them and pretty much fell in love with them lol.
So with the Scarlet Badis's, how many could I keep? I know it says on Tek's post that you could only have 1 male and 3 females, but could you have only males? I have done some research and I know that they are quite territorial but with it being heavily planted would that help with the territories? Because I also read that females are hard to come across.
Also, would it be possible to have Guppies and Scarlet Badis's? If so how many of each?
If Scarlet Badis's turn out to be hard to come across, but I do manage to find some Males and Females would it be worth breeding them?
Thanks.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/dario-dario/
In this article I read because I haven't heard of these fish before, it says that rival males are very aggressive to each other so maybe all males not a good idea in a nano tank. It also suggests a minimum tank base size of 45x30cm - I know you said yours is a 21L so unless it's a very shallow one it probably wouldn't be big enough for these fish from what the article said.
Having said all that I haven't a clue other than what I've read.

LOL.
From what I've read from multiple sources the males are only aggressive during spawning.
Also my tank is 35 cm long, 26.5 cm high and 22 cm depth.
Considering they're rare and I could get a hold of some males and females then I think I would try to breed them but I would use a separate tank to do so. :)

I'd love to find some Badis, but my LFS can't even order them in. In a nano tank, even a heavily planted one, I wouldn't have more than one male.

:/ hmmm it's just a shame because the males are so pretty but they're small so I'm wondering if you would even see them especially when the females aren't very brightly coloured, also I might not be able I find a female.
The garden centre has said on their website that they have them so ill make sure I drop in to see. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back