Possible Nano Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a 21L tank that I used to use as goldfish (when I was younger and didn't know much about keeping fish) and I now want to set it up as a tropical nano tank. It has been running as a coldwater tank with just one turquoise danio (I will rehome him).
I want to start from scratch and recycle it to make sure it will be good.
It will be heavily planted (not sure what plants yet I'm still deciding) and have weekly water changes.
Would I be able to keep some neons in there? I would like about 8 or 10 if possible.
I don't really want any shrimp or Betta's and I would like cardinals but they are quite a bit more expensive than the neons so I think I would take the risk with the neons.
As it stands I can't get my bigger tank (*sigh*) as I might possibly be moving soon and I really don't want to risk the tank getting cracked so I will have to wait until I know for sure.
So I would like to have this nano tank to satisfy my fishy needs until I can upgrade...then I will use this tank as a quarantine and then I want to be able to move these fish and plants into the bigger tank when I get it. :)

So...would 8 -10 neon tetras be alright?

What could be some nice plants to have? I will be using some java fern and possible some anubias (I have a beached ship decoration I would like to stick them on) but what would be some good plants that I could actually plant in the substrate? I will be using either sand or some big pieces of gravel.

I have the original filter but its not very good and the suction cups on the back doesnt stick very well so the filter almost floats until I restick it on the back. So what could be a good HOB filter that works well and would be adequate for a tank of this size?

I don't currently have any lighting so what would be some good lighting and what wattage? I would like to go LED as I've heard they last longer and I like the effect.

How many watts does the heater have to be? I would like the tank to be around 25°C.

What would be some good ferts to dose?

Also I still have some goldfish flakes left over so would they be alright to feed?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

I'll answer some of your questions

So...would 8 -10 neon tetras be alright? Nope. Due to their activity levels they really should be in a 15 gallon.

What could be some nice plants to have? I will be using some java fern and possible some anubias (I have a beached ship decoration I would like to stick them on) but what would be some good plants that I could actually plant in the substrate? I will be using either sand or some big pieces of gravel. Amazon sword would work nicely i think. Dwarf hairgrass or banana lilies are others.

I have the original filter but its not very good and the suction cups on the back doesnt stick very well so the filter almost floats until I restick it on the back. So what could be a good HOB filter that works well and would be adequate for a tank of this size? :dunno:

I don't currently have any lighting so what would be some good lighting and what wattage? I would like to go LED as I've heard they last longer and I like the effect. :dunno:

How many watts does the heater have to be? I would like the tank to be around 25°C. I'm not entirely sure but I think a watt per liter is what is reccomended a 25 watt maybe.

What would be some good ferts to dose? :dunno:

Also I still have some goldfish flakes left over so would they be alright to feed? Nope. I'd get tropical ones.

Thanks for your response TT.
If I lowered the amount of neons would it work?
I don't really want to buy another tank as the whole point if using this tank is not having to buy another tank.
Would some guppies be fine? Maybe 6-8?

The banana lily looks cool so I will see if I can get it.

If this nano tank does go ahead then I will check out this new garden centre that also sells fish as I've heard they sell a lot of aquatic plants so that will be good. :)

Blondielovesfish said:
Thanks for your response TT.
If I lowered the amount of neons would it work?
It's not the bioload that's the problem. They just love swimming around A LOT so need a 15 gallon to swim in.

I don't really want to buy another tank as the whole point if using this tank is not having to buy another tank.
Would some guppies be fine? Maybe 6-8?
Yeah, make sure they're all one sex or they'll breed. I'd reccomend males.
The banana lily looks cool so I will see if I can get it.
If this nano tank does go ahead then I will check out this new garden centre that also sells fish as I've heard they sell a lot of aquatic plants so that will be good. :)
:)

I'll post the link for a site that identifies plants that some aquatic centres sell as suitable for tanks, but aren't - just in case you're not sure like me. I bought one that was meant to be planted in water but grow above the water level.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4741
Apologies to TFF as it's another website, but it's good to share, isn't it?
This one give aquarium plant profiles:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php?do=homepage&cat=0&page=25&n=All_Plants
Good luck with the nano tank. They can be good fun if you are prepared to put in the work needed with the regular water changes and maintenance etc.

Thanks!
Those links look really useful though the practical fish keeping didnt work, it just showed: "recently added" and there was nothing about the plants...but that website looks useful and I looked at quite a few articles so thank you for referencing me to that! :)
The planted tank one did work and looks useful, I only had a quick glance at it bit I will have a good look in the morning!

Yeah I'm hoping it to be fun and it will be good to get some more experience especially now that I can't get my bigger tank until we know if we're moving. :/
Thanks again! :)

Shelster yeah I have, I was thinking that the fish had more to do with bio-loads than swimming space. I just thought that some neons would be nice looking fish to have in there but never mind! :)
Also I thought I would be able to transfer them when I get my bigger tank and use the nano as a quarantine tank but we'll see when the time comes. ;)
Would some guppies be alright? If so how many? I would like quite a few even though I know they're not really schooling fish. :)

Blondie I previously copied that article on plants to avoid so I'll PM it to you if I it will let me do it as an attachment!

Guppies would be fine, I'm not entirely sure but I'd say around 15 would be the limit.

15 in that size of a tank or 15 kept together?
I don't want them to breed so would it be better to get all males or all females? And how do I tell the sex?
Are there any plants guppies like/dislike?
What should I feed them?
What temperature should they be at?
Thanks! :)

In a 21l tank, 5-6 guppies. Anymore, and you're overstocked. Anyless, and they'll start picking on one individual. It's better to get all males, as the females are often much more drab to look at. To be certain of sexing, have a look at the anal fin. For a female, the anal fin is a standard, fan-shaped fin. The male, however, has a gonopodium, a thin spike of a fin, which is used to deliver sperm into the female, in a similar fashion to mammals. There is a pictorial thread pinned in the livebearers section, which will be a good read for you.

Plant-wise, guppies don't tend to hurt plants, more each other. I'd be inclined to go with cryptocorynes (aka crypts), I have a c. wendtii which is taking over my 34l, I have taken cuttings from the original to try to hide the filter inlet in the same tank, and I have taken a cutting for my 100l as well. I personally think that TT's Sword recommendation is flawed (sorry, TT), whilst they are dead easy to grow, they'll be a bit tall for a 21l, unless you get a very small dwarf sword.

Feed guppies standard fish flakes, they'll also like bloodworm, daphnia, etc., as live food, peas and other veggies.

Temp around 26C.

HTH

thanks.gif
  TLM.
Yeah I wasn't going to get any Amazon Swords as after seeing some pictures of them in other tanks I soon realised they would take over lol! I've been looking into the crypts and providing I can buy some I will almost certainly  get some.
smile.png

5-6 sounds a good number. I've recently found some cheap guppies on a local online auction site and I'm now currently waiting for pictures. The person said that he has 5 male rainbow guppies and 1 male fancy tail guppy, do you think I would be able mix the fancy with the others? 

For feeding, what vegetables in particular would you recommend for them?

I'll head over to that pictorial section now and have a good look at it.
smile.png

I think I may of forgotten the tank size! ( :blush: ) .
15! Was I drunk at Time of writing?
Thanks TLM for correcting my post. Feel quite irresponsible now.
I didn't relaize tank size was a problem for plants! After a quick doodle on google it turns out you are right again! How are you doing this?!? :)
I've had a look and there is a thread that has a sword taken over the OP's tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back