Possible leaky tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LostBear

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Came down this morning to a small puddle of water at the front of the tank. On inspection, there was quite a largish puddle of water at the back of the tank.

I'm not sure if it's a leak, or if the sponges we have blocked holes with (to stop the Nerites and their "Mission Impossible" antics) are absorbing evaporated water and dripping it down onto the unit we have it on - one of the sponges, above the filter, was soaked. If so, this will have been happening for about a month now, and been unnoticed despite weekly water changes, which I would think surprising.

We're going to empty the tank and clean up under and around - we'll have to move it because it will have dripped down the back of the unit, and probably pooled underneath. It isn't a massive leak (if it is a leak), because the water level hasn't gone down very much. However leaks often start out small and then end like Niagara so we don't want to take any risks.

We don't have a second tank, SO

1) Will the fish be ok in a bucket for a couple of hours? (I have a very clean bucket which I keep purely for the aquarium). Is there any way to insulate it?

2) Can anyone recommend a good aquarium sealant? And how long will it take to dry?

I think this is all, unless anyone can suggest anything else that I need to be aware of.

Thanks for any help/suggestions anyone can offer

I know it sounds obvious but try to identify the source. For my most recent scare a snail had gone through the filter and got trapped in the outlet nozzle. This was enough to divert the water flow to create a tiny splash onto the lid which then ran across the lid and dripped out through a corner. It looked like loads on the floor but actually wasn't very much water in volume.

If you can't readily identify the source it may be possible to do a 75+% water change which will allow you to move the tank to clean up, make sure everything is in good order and properly fitted and line up some suitably absorbent material around the tank. Its unlikely to turn into Niagara in the couple of hours it takes to verify if you have a leak - and it doesn't make sense to tear down and reseal unless you actually need to.

Obviously leaks do happen - but they aren't that common.

Edit: And if any of your blocking sponges are in contact with the water it could create a capillary effect

I know it sounds obvious but try to identify the source. For my most recent scare a snail had gone through the filter and got trapped in the outlet nozzle. This was enough to divert the water flow to create a tiny splash onto the lid which then ran across the lid and dripped out through a corner. It looked like loads on the floor but actually wasn't very much water in volume.

If you can't readily identify the source it may be possible to do a 75+% water change which will allow you to move the tank to clean up, make sure everything is in good order and properly fitted and line up some suitably absorbent material around the tank. Its unlikely to turn into Niagara in the couple of hours it takes to verify if you have a leak - and it doesn't make sense to tear down and reseal unless you actually need to.

Obviously leaks do happen - but they aren't that common.

Edit: And if any of your blocking sponges are in contact with the water it could create a capillary effect
Thank you Sean. There could well be a capillary effects from the sponge next to the filter (it was soaked) - and your mentioning the snail is pertinent, too. We had a tiny snail (about 1/16th inch - she was the same size as a piece of gravel, which is how I can be so precise!) and she's disappeared. I had wondered if she was trapped in the flitter, but we checked it a couple of times and there was no sign of her. I hadn't thought to check the outlet nozzle though - I'll do that.

Many thanks!

When my nerites kept climbing out of the tank overnight, I selotaped the filter wool on the outside of the lid. I was worried that if I pushed it into the hole it might fall out (inwards or outwards) and then the snails would be able to escape again. It doesn't look pretty though :)

1) Will the fish be ok in a bucket for a couple of hours? (I have a very clean bucket which I keep purely for the aquarium). Is there any way to insulate it?

2) Can anyone recommend a good aquarium sealant? And how long will it take to dry?
They will be OK in a bucket, as long as it’s a clean bucket, they have a heater and an airstone, and there are no aggressive species put together.

I hear FLUVAL makes a nice sealant.

When my nerites kept climbing out of the tank overnight, I selotaped the filter wool on the outside of the lid. I was worried that if I pushed it into the hole it might fall out (inwards or outwards) and then the snails would be able to escape again. It doesn't look pretty though :)
I could well be reduced to this!

Drastic times call for drastic measures.

I've got clingfilm over the part I've taken the sponge out of and believe me, it is not aesthetically pleasing! (Plus - it isn't very effective. I've had to wrap it round and tuck it under the lid. I read somewhere that clingfilm is composed 50/50 of two very rare elements - "Frustratium" and "Thisisstupidite". I think there's bit of "Ohforheavenssakeine", too.)

They will be OK in a bucket, as long as it’s a clean bucket, they have a heater and an airstone, and there are no aggressive species put together.

I hear FLUVAL makes a nice sealant.
Thank you Phoenix - that seems appropriate as it is a Fluvial tank. I'm going to follow Seangee's suggestion (above) first, as I think may be right. This was Mr LostBear's first instinct too.

It is a VERY clean bucket, kept solely for fish-related stuff - but I hadn't thought of putting a heater in there. Will it not cook the fish in a small space?

We only have tetras and the Nerites, so unlikely to be any scuffles - though the neons are little tinkers!

Thank you Phoenix - that seems appropriate as it is a Fluvial tank. I'm going to follow Seangee's suggestion (above) first, as I think may be right. This was Mr LostBear's first instinct too.

It is a VERY clean bucket, kept solely for fish-related stuff - but I hadn't thought of putting a heater in there. Will it not cook the fish in a small space?

We only have tetras and the Nerites, so unlikely to be any scuffles - though the neons are little tinkers!
It depends, how big is the bucket?

(I assumed you had a small heater for a betta tank, and that it was a 5g bucket?)

It depends, how big is the bucket?

(I assumed you had a small heater for a betta tank, and that it was a 5g bucket?)
Crivvens, no - 2 - 2 1/2 (uk) gallons I would estimate.

Our tank is 64l which I think is roughly 15 - 16 UK gallons.

We don't have a betta tank - just this medium sized one awash with quirky little tetras.

Hmmm... how long do you estimate they will be in there? What is your house kept at? (Temperature wise..)

Hmmm... how long do you estimate they will be in there? What is your house kept at? (Temperature wise..)
No idea - (on either count). I'm in the North East, which is a colder region, but it's certainty not cold at the moment.

I'm hoping I won't have to do the full sealing thing - Seangee has made a couple of suggestions to try first. If push comes to shove. I'll get a second tank.

Last edited:
Sean - it seems that you were spot on with your suggestion that it could be excessive condensation - but we need a new heater - the temperature was 82 degrees. Mr LostBear has turned it down and it is going down, but we don't trust the damn thing now, because it shouldn't have gone up in the first place!

Our poor little fish could have been poached!

the temperature was 82 degrees. Mr LostBear has turned it down and it is going down ,ut we don't trust the damn thing now, because it shouldn't have gone up in the first place!
Are you sure its not the weather? Even though the temp is lower now I find that my tanks are still warmer than usual as the lights warm it up and it does not cool all the way back to the "set" temperature by the time the lights come on again. My tank with the tightly fitting lid is still up at 26, although the others have come back closer to 25 which is where I have them all set.

I am slightly paranoid about heaters as I have had 2 fail over the years, one stopped heating and one failed to turn off. Here is my recommendation if you are willing to spend a bit more. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/...s-out-of-the-hobby.457738/page-2#post-3875101

Amazon does not currently have the one I use in stock but I have just bought one for my newest tank here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inkbird-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649. Even though the seller information says China it was postmarked Leicester and arrived within two days :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back