Possible Leak - What Next?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cswim

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I noticed last night that my water level had dropped nearly an inch in 24 hours. Sure enough, there was a lovely puddle under the tank. The fish have been temporarily rehomed already and I've drained and emptied the tank.

The tank is less than 6 weeks old so I'm wondering if I'd have any chance with a warranty claim? It's an Aquael classic bought through one of the larger online fish stores. I'm confident it was set up level however I've no proof of this.

Also, I've already had the hood replaced because the starter/ballast unit blew.

Would you go with the hassle of sending the tank back to be "investigated" or would you find and repair the leak yourself?

Thanks in advance for any help at all!

If the tank is less than 6 weeks old then it most certainly is taking it back to the vendor (who's not necessarily the manufacturer) for a replacement., Under the sale of goods act the item must be fit for the purpose it was made for, in this instance to hold water and livestock, and this clearly wasn't. Under no circumstances try to rectify the problem yourself as this would almost certainly void any warrenty.

That's what I thought, thanks.

I can't work out where it has come from. I'm using an internal filter so there's no plumbing leaks. And that's waaay too much to be evaporation, especially when there's water over the floor.

The worst thing is the frustration. I'd only just started to think the tank was finished and was happy with how everything was.

The tank is only 45l so was sat on a nice sturdy table. The floor of the tank is also raised off the surface by a surround around the base. It will be going on a proper stand once this is sorted out as I'll be setting it up in another location.

The floor of the tank is also raised off the surface by a surround around the base. It will be going on a proper stand once this is sorted out as I'll be setting it up in another location.

explain this in more detail,

a tank needs to be on a flat firm surface, and supported evenly around the entire tank,

you might have caused a panel to shift by supporting your tank improperly

Sorry just realised that looks a bit confusing. The base of the tank is a floating one. Looks a bit like |----------| as opposed to |________| .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back