Possible Ich, please help me identify it!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The white patch on the eye is mucous that is covering a damaged eye. The fish are fighting and the kennyi is bashing/ bullying the electric yellow. They should not be kept together because the kennyi is real aggressive and the electric yellow is peaceful.

I would suggest getting rid of the kennyi and finding a female electric yellow so you have 1 pr in the tank and nothing else. The pleco might be ok for a bit but will possibly need a bigger home when it grows.

If you post a clear picture showing the side view of the electric yellow, we will be able to check it more thoroughly. There is a white spot on the tail that might be something or nothing.

------------------------
If you take a glass full of the tank water to a pet shop they should be able to test the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH for you. Write the results down in numbers when they do the tests. If the pet shop says the water is fine, ask them what the results are in numbers. Then post the results here.

How often are you doing water changes and how much water do you change?
In a new tank (less than 2 months old) you should only feed the fish a couple of times a week and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.

You should also be monitoring ammonia and nitrite levels and doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on any day there is an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0.

You can buy ammonia and nitrite test kits form any pet shop. Liquid test kits are slightly more accurate than dry paper test kits. Check the expiry date on any test kits before you buy them. Keep test kits cool and dry and away from children or animals because they contain some pretty toxic chemicals. Wash your hands with soapy water after doing water tests.

------------------------
There is more information about fish health issues and water quality related ailments at the following link. It is pretty long and somewhat boring but worth reading if you have some spare time.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

The Kennyi has passed, and the yellow’s condition has worsened but now has become better. I’m certain it’s ick now because almost all of the symptoms listed on Wikipedia are problems my fish are facing. The plecostomus appears to be unaffected somehow. Maybe his tough skin is helping?

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite & pH?
If not, then you should try to get it checked. Poor water quality is the most common cause of fish dying in aquariums and is the leading cause of death in fish kept in newly set up tanks.

Either tank a glass full of tank water to the local pet shop or buy some test kits and check the water quality.

If you can't get to a pet shop for a bit do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week and see if the fish improve.

If you post a new picture of the remaining fish we can see if it has whitespot.

The Kennyi has passed, and the yellow’s condition has worsened but now has become better. I’m certain it’s ick now because almost all of the symptoms listed on Wikipedia are problems my fish are facing. The plecostomus appears to be unaffected somehow. Maybe his tough skin is helping?

Possibly. But no matter how tough the skin is, he'll probably get it soon.You can buy liquid or powder itch remedies, and they are available at your LFS or you can order them online. I agree with Collin, you should get your water checked too if you don't know the pH or ammonia, etc. Good luck Sage!

You have a 20 gallon long tank?

Kenyi Cichlid Grows to 12 centimeters.

Common pleco Grows to 24 inches long

Both the above fish are too big for your tank and need to be removed.

i have that too, but it is not from fighting, my male peacock is having this white stuff grow on his eyes, and they are strange. but the white thing is growing day by day, yours may not be, if you don't notice it growing or spreading from one eye to the other, it might not be what i have, but what i have is unpleasant too.

start a new thread and post pictures
i can't post pictures, and i was only saying that i have it , and that if it is changing from day to day, then it might be able to help with what may happen next, but if it is ot the same i may still help, i was not trying to say: help me because i have it too, i was saying: i might help by knowing what is next from what i see happening in my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back