Possible Copper Poisoning?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I use a Python for water changes so that's not really possible to add before it's in the tank...

You absolutely must add the Prime (or any conditioner) BEFORE you add the new treated source water! Otherwise you're adding untreated chlorine/chloramine to your system - enough to kill.
It seems like we may have uncovered your problem.

It is possible to add the Prime to the tank then start filling it with the python. This will remove the chlorine as soon as it gets into the tank. Adding Prime after means that chlorine has been in the tank for as long as it takes to finish refilling.

Why cant you add the prime before you start refilling the tank?

When I had to use straight tap water in my 6 foot tank, I would empty half the water, add the appropriate amount of Prime then leave it for 10 or so minutes while it mixed with the tank water, then fill from garden hose.

You absolutely must add the Prime (or any conditioner) BEFORE you add the new treated source water! Otherwise you're adding untreated chlorine/chloramine to your system - enough to kill.
It seems like we may have uncovered your problem.
My mistake, I didn't word my process correctly. Let's say I do a 50% water change, I'll add Prime while the tank is refilling as well as after the water change is complete; I'm well aware of how chlorine affects the system (I've accidentally killed 80% of a tank this way...).

You keep changing your story....you said you couldn't afford CO2 so you were using Excel. Then when we pointed out that Excel (Glut) was bad, you said it wasn't Excel, but just Flourish (Comp?). You said you couldn't add Prime before adding water during the WC because you used a Python. Then after we pointed out that the conditioner should always be added before adding new tap water, you said you add Prime while the tank is refilling.....
I'm done here.

You keep changing your story....you said you couldn't afford CO2 so you were using Excel. Then when we pointed out that Excel (Glut) was bad, you said it wasn't Excel, but just Flourish (Comp?). You said you couldn't add Prime before adding water during the WC because you used a Python. Then after we pointed out that the conditioner should always be added before adding new tap water, you said you add Prime while the tank is refilling.....
I'm done here.
I admit my wording was a bit confusing, but no one's making you follow my thread so please don't get hostile with me if you're not here to help. Thank you.

How much Prime do you use? According to Seachem's website it says that if it is added directly to the tank you should add enough to treat the whole tank not just the amount of new water.

I would also put the Prime in the tank before starting to refill it rather than during the refill and afterwards.

How much Prime do you use? According to Seachem's website it says that if it is added directly to the tank you should add enough to treat the whole tank not just the amount of new water.

I would also put the Prime in the tank before starting to refill it rather than during the refill and afterwards.
I treat the whole tank with Prime with every water change; once while it's refilling and again after completion. Should I triple dose the tank by adding Prime before refill as well?

No you should only add enough for the whole tank volume once in total not once during the refill and once after.

You said in the first post that you have two tanks, 20 gallon and 29 gallon. You should be removing the water as usual for a water change, then add Prime at the dose for the whole tank, then refill with new water via the python.
For the 20 gallon, you need to add two fifths of a capful, (or 2ml) of Prime after removing the old water and before you start adding the new water.
For the 29 gallon, you need to add three fifths of a capful (2.9 ml) of Prime between taking the old water out and adding the new.

It would be easier to measure these amounts with a syringe or pipette rather than try to work out two fifth or three fifths of a cap.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back