Possible betta ich

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a betta the other day, and earlier today, I put some shrimp in the tank, but the betta got the small one in its mouth, stupid me seeing it was still alive put my hand in and got the shrimp out, it died after a couple mins, but betta spooked. Later tonight, I was just looking in the tank, and noticed on one fin, whenever the light hits it right you can see a shiny spot. I canā€™t tell if itā€™s ich or just light reflecting off of the fin because it is moving too fast, does ich sparkle? I tried taking pictures but you couldnā€™t notice anything because the fin wonā€™t stay still

Without pictures it's impossible to say but white spot causes fish to rub on objects. If the fish is not rubbing on objects then it's unlikely to be white spot.

White spot has to be introduced into an aquarium. If you have not added anything to the tank in the last few weeks, it is unlikely to be white spot.

Male Siamese fighting fish are normally kept in containers without any other fish. This reduces the chances of them getting white spot. The only way they can catch it when kept on their own at the shop, is if the shop uses contaminated water from a tank with white spot, and adds that water to the Betta tank/s.

Monitor the fish and if it gets white dots on the body or fins, and starts flicking or rubbing against objects in the tank, then it has white spot.

You can treat white spot with heat. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the white dots have gone.

If you are concerned it is white spot, just raise the temperature to 30C for 2 weeks and it will kill any white spot parasites in the water and the fish will then be free of any, assuming it has any.

Without pictures it's impossible to say but white spot causes fish to rub on objects. If the fish is not rubbing on objects then it's unlikely to be white spot.

White spot has to be introduced into an aquarium. If you have not added anything to the tank in the last few weeks, it is unlikely to be white spot.

Male Siamese fighting fish are normally kept in containers without any other fish. This reduces the chances of them getting white spot. The only way they can catch it when kept on their own at the shop, is if the shop uses contaminated water from a tank with white spot, and adds that water to the Betta tank/s.

Monitor the fish and if it gets white dots on the body or fins, and starts flicking or rubbing against objects in the tank, then it has white spot.

You can treat white spot with heat. Just raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the white dots have gone.

If you are concerned it is white spot, just raise the temperature to 30C for 2 weeks and it will kill any white spot parasites in the water and the fish will then be free of any, assuming it has any.
Can shrimp get it, because the only thing that I put in was shrimp, and I used a net because I didnā€™t want to use the water from the store

I donā€™t think it is ick, but is it normal for the fish to completely stop moving on the bottom of the aquarium, because he did for a couple of minutes and I was able to see it was not ich, also when I woke up he was up against the filter. He was getting sucked towards it but he could get himself free, he swam back to it s couple of times

He keeps swimming back here
8E3A97F0-3E65-4B57-9C6A-A543DE4BC106.jpeg

I donā€™t think it is ick, but is it normal for the fish to completely stop moving on the bottom of the aquarium, because he did for a couple of minutes and I was able to see it was not ich, also when I woke up he was up against the filter. He was getting sucked towards it but he could get himself free, he swam back to it s couple of times

Yes, bettas rest a lot. It's normal for them to rest in different areas of the tank as long as they also still explore and swim around. It sounds like your filter is too strong for your betta. You might want to look into a getting a sponge filter instead of the one that came with the tank or try to baffle the flow.

Shrimp can't get white spot but if you have shrimp in a tank with fish, and those fish get white spot, then transferring water from that tank to another tank can transfer the white spot across in the water.

If the fish is weak or sick, it could be getting drawn onto the filter. See if you can reduce the water movement in the tank and reduce the water flow in the filter. Make sure the filter keeps running but try to reduce the flow a bit.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. See if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Yes, bettas rest a lot. It's normal for them to rest in different areas of the tank as long as they also still explore and swim around. It sounds like your filter is too strong for your betta. You might want to look into a getting a sponge filter instead of the one that came with the tank or try to baffle the flow.
The filter is built into the tank, the betta can easily get off of the filter, but he swims right up to the opening, the filter is not strong at all so idk why he does this

Shrimp can't get white spot but if you have shrimp in a tank with fish, and those fish get white spot, then transferring water from that tank to another tank can transfer the white spot across in the water.

If the fish is weak or sick, it could be getting drawn onto the filter. See if you can reduce the water movement in the tank and reduce the water flow in the filter. Make sure the filter keeps running but try to reduce the flow a bit.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. See if it helps.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
The filter already barely flows so if I reduced it it would just stop

The filter is built into the tank, the betta can easily get off of the filter, but he swims right up to the opening, the filter is not strong at all so idk why he does this

Be careful, bettas are extremely curious and I've heard of other people's bettas getting stuck inside internal filters. If flow isn't an issue then I would just make sure that there is no possible way he could jump or squeeze in. Bettas love trying to squeeze into tiny spaces for some reason and it sounds like he may be checking out the opening of the filter to see if he can get inside.

Be careful, bettas are extremely curious and I've heard of other people's bettas getting stuck inside internal filters. If flow isn't an issue then I would just make sure that there is no possible way he could jump or squeeze in. Bettas love trying to squeeze into tiny spaces for some reason and it sounds like he may be checking out the opening of the filter to see if he can get inside
There really is no room he would be able to fit inside through the opening

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back