Possible angelfish pair

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I have a 50 gallon aquarium with two angelfish. I'm not a 100% sure about the sexes but I think the koi is a male and the scar diamond is a female. The fish are about year and a half old and have been in the tank together for a year. They were bought as juveniles.

I have been told that if they were a male and a female they would have paired off by now. However I haven't seen any breeding behaviour or sings of them pairing up. This makes me wonder about their genders, and if in fact they are a male and a female why haven't they paired up?

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20210816_160451.jpg
    IMG_20210816_160451.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210816_160457.jpg
    IMG_20210816_160457.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 47
Usually around 2 years of age they become sexually mature. Just wait and see. There are a lot of things that have to be right for them to actually breed, water condition, temperature, light, other fish in the tank and most importantly what they think of each other.

Fish on left (gold angel) looks like a male.
Fish on right (silver/ platinum angel) looks like a female.

To get a breeding pair of cichlids, put 8 or more young fish in the same tank and grow them up together. When they mature, they will choose their partners and make a pair. If you just stick 2 fish together they don't always get along and even if you have a male and female, they might not pr up.

Fish on left (gold angel) looks like a male.
Fish on right (silver/ platinum angel) looks like a female.

To get a breeding pair of cichlids, put 8 or more young fish in the same tank and grow them up together. When they mature, they will choose their partners and make a pair. If you just stick 2 fish together they don't always get along and even if you have a male and female, they might not pr up.
I didn't want to get a pair of angelfish at first. I new I need at least 6 fish to grow up together and pair off but the tank wasn't big enough so I decided to only keep 2 because I like the fish.

About the sex of the fish: Those where my thoughts as well. I'm just curious why haven't they paired up if they are male and female.

Usually around 2 years of age they become sexually mature. Just wait and see. There are a lot of things that have to be right for them to actually breed, water condition, temperature, light, other fish in the tank and most importantly what they think of each other.
Ohh I didn't know what. I thought they mature at 6 months to a year. I will gladly wait longer to see if they pair up but what could be the reason they aren't pairing up (other then their age).

I keep the tank at 27°, ph is 7.6, gh is 3°d, kh is 15°d, the light is on about 6 hours a day (split into two shifts of 3h). Currently there is only a blue gourami in with them and I made another tread about new possible tank mates.

I'm worried about male angelfish's behaviour. He seems to push the female away and chase her. The female usually stay hidden and away from the male

About the sex of the fish: Those where my thoughts as well. I'm just curious why haven't they paired up if they are male and female.
They don't like each other :)

Freshwater angelfish can be sexually mature at 6 months if well cared for.

They both look like females to me, I have 2 males at 2 years old and they are huge, their fins are usually held in a more vertical position if not swimming and they have more elongated tail streamers, constantly bickering with each other too, in the end I split them up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back