Positioning of Circulation Pumps for Planted Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Linkandnavi

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My new 193 US gallon tank is arriving next week. It'll be heavily planted and co2 injected, running a Fluval FX6. I've had problems in a previous 120 gallon with dead spots, particularly at the bottom of the tank and so will be using a couple of small circulation pumps to move water across the lower sections and into the nooks.

Filter setup will be as follows. Guarantees flow across the top of the tank and in theory there will be some reverse flow along the bottom, although not likely much.
Filter Setup.jpg

I then have two options for the positioning of the circulation pumps. The first, as below, is with the pumps facing the same direction along the bottom as the flow from the filter itself. (Obviously 2D, but the pump in the middle will be at the rear of the tank, angling towards the front left.

Powerhead Same.jpg

Or I can put them at the other end of the tank at the bottom, the opposite direction of the filter flow which would in theory encourage a "circulation" action, as opposed to a single directional flow.

Powerhead reverse.png

Any views as to which is preferable/most efficient?

Thanks.

Before you dive in with a circulation pump, have you considered a set of lily pipes instead? They should give you optimum water circulation for ensuring CO2 is getting to where it is needed, they tend to be more efficient than standard plastic fittings as they don't get so clogged up with crud and detritus.

Before you dive in with a circulation pump, have you considered a set of lily pipes instead? They should give you optimum water circulation for ensuring CO2 is getting to where it is needed, they tend to be more efficient than standard plastic fittings as they don't get so clogged up with crud and detritus.
Thanks. I'm not aware of any lily pipes that are compatible with an FX6 (with it's oddly-sized ribbed hoses).

I love internal filters and if you are going to use power you may as well have it doing some work, I would put a 750-1000 l/hr internal filter beside the filter intake. Have it at a forty-five-degree angle to the back wall facing the front of the tank. That will move the water back down the system.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back