Population for tank capacity.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

TankNoob

Reaction score
New to thisā€¦

Iā€™m planning a 60 litre for a single male betta. The tank setup will be primarily aimed at him. E.g. minimal flow filter, temp 75 deg and ph 7.

Then thinking a couple of nerites and a couple of red cherries.

My other half wants a bristlenose Pleco.

Does this sound reasonable for the tank volume?

You're either married or have multiple personality disorder. Either way, I feel sorry for you. :) Just kidding.

I've read 60 liters is too small for a bristlenose and they produce a lot of waste. However, I've never had them, so maybe someone else can give advice. (I pretty much just wanted to say my dumb joke.)

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF!

My opinion and from several sites on the internet is that 60 litre is too small for a BN pleco. At absolute minimum, I recommend a 25 gallon tank and even bigger would be better. I have mine in a 29 gallon tank along with several tiger barbs and a Bolivian Ram.
There is a chance the Betta could nibble on the cherry shrimp. The nerites would be fine with the Betta but don't add any other fish - they prefer being solitary.
Here is a site with info about keeping shrimp with a Betta:

Last edited:
I would look at smaller species of suckermouth catfish (Peckoltias, Otocinclus) instead of the bristlenose. Make sure you have driftwood and algae for the suckermouth catfish.

Have some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) for the male Betta. He can live in the top half of the tank and should ignore the catfish at the bottom. However, you have to keep an eye on the Bettas because some go a little nuts and attack other fishes. However, most fish that get attacked live in the upper half of the tank (same territory as the Betta) and are brightly coloured. The catfish aren't in this group so should be fine.

Then thinking a couple of nerites and a couple of red cherries
Nerites are fine with bettas, I've only ever had one betta which noticed the nerite in his tank and he only flared at it when it was in the tank walls (presumably it looked like an invader swimming into his space).

Shrimps of any type are hit and miss. I've had a betta which ignored shrimp and another which hunted and killed them.

Even if the shrimps are being predated on by the betta, they can still survive if there's plenty of hiding spaces. I had 2 voracious guppies but none of them could get any of my shrimp due to the enormous forest of moss.

New to thisā€¦

Iā€™m planning a 60 litre for a single male betta. The tank setup will be primarily aimed at him. E.g. minimal flow filter, temp 75 deg and ph 7.

Then thinking a couple of nerites and a couple of red cherries.

Does this sound reasonable for the tank volume?
i keep my betta mateless in a 10 G. He does have snails & plants to keep him company. But no fish. Heard too many sad aggression stories on bettas.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back