Population for my 37 gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 37 gallon tank. Right now, the population is as follows...

2 Rosy Barbs
4 Tiger Barbs
2 Bleeding Heart Tetras
3 Ozola Barbs (Tiger Barilius)

I'll probably be giving up the Tetras to my girlfriend's 15High tank she'll be getting soon. That leaves me with just the Barbs.

My question is, how many more fish can I add (once my tank has matured a little of course)?

I'd like to add one bottom dweller catfish for gravel cleanup, possibly a couple green tiger barbs, and maybe a couple cichlids. People have said a convict and a firemouth would be ok with the Barbs. If they won't be , I'll go with a few dwarf cichlids. how many more fish can i put in there without overpopulation?

- kip

Um you could probably go with one of the smaller species of pleco. Also, a pictus cat would do good...although they really dont clean the bottom. Well, with your barbs I would not add anything that has long finnage (or gouramis because of their feelers). Get something that could outswim the barbs. :nod:

Avoid Pictus cats, the eat like horses and they arent afraid to eat something big......I had a tiger barb get munched by one.
Go with a few cory cats and maybe a tiger or 2 more to keep the nipping to themselves

Les

While I agree with Les on the Pimelodus pictus.....I have to add that Pimelodus angelicus does not grow as large and is more peaceful!!

I have 50 of the little buggers in a 30 gallon tank (they are slated to be moved to larger digs this weekend so no hate posts please) and it is a sight to behold for sure!!

P. angelicus would be a good choice, but get at least two or a small group of cories would do as well as one of the Ancistrus plecos!!

CM

I have to add that Pimelodus angelicus does not grow as large and is more peaceful!!

Thanks buddy for the back up. Never had an angelicus so I didnt know.......good to know there are similar fish that are peaceful

Les

How about a couple Synodontis nigriventris (upsidedown catfish) If you keep an eye out, you can get a few with that are very ornate and definately will be a good conversation piece for guests. People can't believe that the fish swims upsidedown.

will upside down catfish be miserable if i don't really have anything in the tank for them to cling to and still be upside down?

- kip

yeah should be fine. They don't cling to anything, just swim upsidedown sometimes in the open water. When at the bottom they swim like normal catfish.

synodont.jpg

Check this site out for info on them if interested.

Synodontis nigriventris

well for a peacefull cichlid i would say one of the dwarfs cichlids would be a good move something like a crib would be perfect i think you could get 4 cribs easily and have room for a cat of some kind maybee a plec might be nice the others know their cats more than i but i like the idea of a banjo.

Your upside down catfish will be happy if you give it some "real" bogwood to hide in. Contrary to belief upside down catfish don't remain upside down on the water surface all the time. The real ones, and I have 4 (synodontis nigriventris) enjoy being upside down under a piece of bogwood.
The other question concerning how many fish you can have in a tank. A lot depends on the type of filtration and the type of fish you want in the tank.
For example in a 37 ltr tank you could have 1 big catfish or 50 Neons. A general rule of thumb is: 1" of fully grown fish to 10 sq. inch of surface area. In other words you need to calculate the size of the fish when fully grown even though it may be tiny at the moment.

Most reactions

Back