Population control advice needed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

JimmyWolph

Reaction score
I am brand new to the aquarium hobby and I need advice, please. I have 6 White Cloud Minnows in my new 10 gallon tank. I have only had them a little less than two weeks and there are already many babies swimming around the floating plants. How do I handle this situation? The 6 never bother them. I donā€™t know what I should do. Any help is greatly appreciate. Thank you.

I am brand new to the aquarium hobby and I need advice, please. I have 6 White Cloud Minnows in my new 10 gallon tank. I have only had them a little less than two weeks and there are already many babies swimming around the floating plants. How do I handle this situation? The 6 never bother them. I donā€™t know what I should do. Any help is greatly appreciate. Thank you.
There is really only 2 main options cull or give them to your LFS

Ah yes....reproduction. The part of fishkeeping that no-one warned you about that inevitably leads to a fishkeeper's affliction called MTS or Multiple Tank Syndrome.

Sadly there really isn't alot that can be done, Mother Nature has a way of surprising all of us when keeping fish....frequently making a fishkeeper scratch their head after discovering that their aquarium population has suddenly exploded.

The 10 gallon should be OK for the time being but you might want to either get another 10 gallon or maybe a 20 gallon in the not too distant future....failing that, your local LFS might be happy to take the babies off you once they are big enough and you'll likely get some sort of credit note in return.

You could add a species of predator that predate on the fry (and that can live in a 10 gallon). Although I'm not knowledgeable on any cold/temperate water predatory species that can do the job.

Most reactions

Back