POPEYE - MOLLY

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MyFishKaren

Reaction score
Today I saw that my Dalmatian Molly had an overly bloated eyeball. I did some research to learn it was Popeye. I went to pet smart for help, they said to put him in an Epsom salt bath and to treat him with a medicine I cannot remember. Only one eye is affected, and he is the only fish to be affected.

My water parameters we all good except for my nitrites, which were extremely high. I got a live plant and did a partial water change in hopes of bringing it down.

He doesn't seem to be going to the surface that much, but is eating and breathing fine. I had him soaked in an epsom salt bath for 15 minutes in tank water and then returned him to my main tank.

What can I do? I read it isn't fatal, and he might be blinded afterwards if he survives. What medicine should I purchase to help, and how long/often do I soak him in an epsom salt bath? I love this fish, and I want to make sure he survives through this.

Thanks,
MyFishKaren

Pop-eye is caused by poor water quality and bacterial infections.

If you have a nitrite reading then that is probably what caused it.

If you ever have an ammonia or nitrite reading in an aquarium with fish in, reduce feeding to once every second day, and do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day until the ammonia and nitrite are on 0.

When the water conditions are good, the pop-eye should go by itself. If it hasn't cleared up within a few days of the water being improved, then you can look at getting a medication containing Methylene Blue and treating the fish in a separate container.

You can add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt per 20 litres of water. This can help with minor infections, especially in livebearers.

Pop-eye is caused by poor water quality and bacterial infections.

If you have a nitrite reading then that is probably what caused it.

If you ever have an ammonia or nitrite reading in an aquarium with fish in, reduce feeding to once every second day, and do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day until the ammonia and nitrite are on 0.

When the water conditions are good, the pop-eye should go by itself. If it hasn't cleared up within a few days of the water being improved, then you can look at getting a medication containing Methylene Blue and treating the fish in a separate container.

You can add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt per 20 litres of water. This can help with minor infections, especially in livebearers.

So he should be okay overnight? Also, will epsom salt work the same as the others you mentioned, or do I need an actual salt?

Will the Popeye kill him?

Thanks,
MyFishKaren

If you do/ did a water change to dilute the nitrite then he should be fine overnight.

Normal salt (sodium chloride) is better than epsom salts, which are magnesium sulphate.

Magnesium sulphate can increase the hardness a bit and will help if you have soft water (low GH), but sodium is better for killing fungus, bacteria & protozoans.

If you do/ did a water change to dilute the nitrite then he should be fine overnight.

Normal salt (sodium chloride) is better than epsom salts, which are magnesium sulphate.

Magnesium sulphate can increase the hardness a bit and will help if you have soft water (low GH), but sodium is better for killing fungus, bacteria & protozoans.

Is it a good sign that my fish with Popeye is moving his eye around? The swelling has gone down some and there is no visible blood in his eye anymore. He doesnt really seem to be eating though.

Thanks,
MyFishKaren

Make sure the water is good and there is no ammonia or nitrite, and the pH is above 7.0, and the GH is above 250ppm and the fish should start to eat again when it feels better.

If the swelling has gone down then its a good sign the eye is healing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back