Poorly dwarf gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tykey

Reaction score
I've got a couple of dwarf gouramis, one of which is looking decidedly poorly, and I reckon its got dwarf gourami disease. Is there anything to be done for the other one , and to protect the other varieties of gourami sharing the tank?

Take the sick grouami out, put it in a separate tank/plastic box with an air stone and a heater. Monitor it and other fish, feed high protein food. You could medicate the lone gourami and the tank if you see any signs of sickness.

Take the sick grouami out, put it in a separate tank/plastic box with an air stone and a heater. Monitor it and other fish, feed high protein food. You could medicate the lone gourami and the tank if you see any signs of sickness.
Treat for what exactly ?

There is some medicine specifically for quarantining new fish. Aquarium Co-op goes in depth about quarantine and medication. You might want to check it out. You usually treat for ich, bacterial infection and deworming the fish.

If the fish does have dwarf gourami disease, there is no cure for it I'm afraid.

Many of the medications on American sites are not available in the UK.

There is some medicine specifically for quarantining new fish. Aquarium Co-op goes in depth about quarantine and medication. You might want to check it out. You usually treat for ich, bacterial infection and deworming the fish.
To be honest I think the Aquarium Coop QT trio is a scam. A dewormer okay, but treating with meds as precaution I think is ridiculous. The mis- and overuse of meds is one of the biggest issues in our hobby.
I still think more fish are killed by this ridiculous way of treating an unknown/possible disease.
Sometimes we humans need to accept that a fish is over the point of treatment / have an untreatable issue. Euthanise or better not buying certain fish (This fish shouldn't been sold)

DG's are the most beautiful fish to me and are completely destroyed healthwise. An importban would be the only way to get a healthy fish again. Don't think the trade will do this. Dead fish means replacement means profit.

But as said that's.my personal opinion

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back