Poorly Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jfeld

Reaction score
My friend's formerly healthy, young male betta is exhibiting some symptoms and we're not sure exactly what's wrong with him.

He ballooned up a little towards his front end and this ballooning is translucent. He seems to be having difficulty swimming, though he is not lying on his side as in the swim bladder description. His temperment has changed drastically - he went from being calm and happy to being very nervous and jumpy. He doesn't seem to be constipated. I've tried fasting but to no avail. The water is changed weekly and a de-chlorinator is used.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

When you say to no avail, has he pooed that you could see? Constipation, fin rot and fungus are the most common maladies for Betta, it seems to me. Bettas overeat if given a chance. So a fast day and a pea day a week is a good practice.

A little aquarium salt is a very good defense to fungus. Clean water is the very best defense to bacterial infections.

Is he eating? Is he pooing? When was his water changed? Are there aerosols used near his home?

First, clean water; second, salt; third a regular fast day and a pea or daphnia day. Has anything new been added to his tank or sprayed near his tank?

Oh, dear, did I repeat myself? :blush:

Hmmm...

my guess is tt he has dropsy,
but tt is highly unlikely...
maybe if he's used too it do a straigt fifty percent water change on alternate days?
i've trained mine to be able to adapt to such water changes so tt if anyone gets sick i can get rid of the ailment asap.i'll keeep my fingers crossed.

gd luck,
joeyoii

The symptom for dropsy is pine coning. Are his scales raised like a pine cone?

I'm with joey--water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back