pond goldfish with tumors

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
She's upright. I think she's feeling pain that some people say fish don't have. But if we surgery? Its like that with her..move to eat..but otherwise resting.

I lost the white one with the large tumor on its head yesterday. I'm still pretty busy at work, don't know if I should do surgery on a fish and then leave for 10 hours, but I do still have them in an accessible tank and I do have a razor blade and vodka. And peroxide

I put antibiotics in yesterday. Some white skin fungus..but not too bad. I used those clear plastic or whatever its made of gloves too and I did soak the blade in bleach,then rinsed before the surgery. Just make sure wherever you put the fish after surgery,add antibiotics right then. I ,as I said, found the HP wont prevent fungus. Good luck and i think if people get all that they need when they start ? The Goldfish would thank you!

Last edited:
I've got to get a koi out of my regular quarantine tank, to have a place to put a goldfish that has had surgery with a controlled water volume and good filtration. Right they are on air stones and water changes. I need to dose that koi for internal parasites again, and get water changes done. It's been a busy spring. Looking forward to some home time

I once treated a large Ohgon Koi female that had really bloated on one side. I bought those blue kiddie pools and just put in lots of magnesium salts. Overnight she expelled huge amounts of eggs. She was fine after that.

I once treated a large Ohgon Koi female that had really bloated on one side. I bought those blue kiddie pools and just put in lots of magnesium salts. Overnight she expelled huge amounts of eggs. She was fine after that.
I put some epsom salts in with this koi and she didn't expel eggs, she's been treated with metronidazole and the bloating has gone down some, but she needs fresh water before I treat her with anything else. And I need some kiddy pools! My dogs want one all their own too

Walmart has the cheapo type that I buy up to 6' around for $20 or less. They last about three years at least. Just be careful not to put sharp things in them- like lava rocks. I almost bought one the other day to grow water lilies in...but I didn't.

I put antibiotics in yesterday. Some white skin fungus..but not too bad. I used those clear plastic or whatever its made of gloves too and I did soak the blade in bleach,then rinsed before the surgery. Just make sure wherever you put the fish after surgery,add antibiotics right then. I ,as I said, found the HP wont prevent fungus. Good luck and i think if people get all that they need when they start ? The Goldfish would thank you!
Antibiotics don't treat fungus.

The white slime on fish is usually excess mucous produced by the fish when something is irritating the skin

Whatever it was made of has worked overnight. In the nick of time. She is a real fighter survivor. That white fungus mucous is much less.
I saw Erythromycin...but then saw a different package and brand "Treats fungus" so went with that chemical.
Doing the surgery is not a waste of time. You really can save fish. Better than the alternative.

I saw Erythromycin...but then saw a different package and brand "Treats fungus" so went with that chemical.
A lot of companies have misleading labels or false information on their packaging.

Erythromycin is an antibiotic that was designed for people. Antibiotics treat bacteria, which are completely different to fungus. Some medications will kill fungus and bacteria (Methylene Blue for example), but true antibiotics like Erythromycin, Kanamycin (Kanaplex), Tetracycline, Doxycycline, etc, do nothing to treat fungus.

Wow- totally forgot about Meth blue. I don't think I've seen it for sale for years as itself. I did 2 years ago or so buy RID-X and it did dye the water blue so it's still used in some form.
She's still up right and swims to the surface to feed. Goldfish don't ever give up.

it could have air in its intestine.
removing dry food from its diet for a week and replacing it with frozen or live food might help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back