Pond Building and Growout

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Iā€™m building a pond. It will be roughly 13ā€™x7ā€™x3.5ā€™, giving me 2,385 gallons to work with, however, it will most likely be closer to 2,000 because of the fact that the measurements are not exact.

The pond will be made out of pond liner, as cement, wooden frame, and other methods I can not use. The pond is strictly budgeted, so pond liner is the easiest and cheapest method

My topsoil lasts about 1ā€™, and then it gets to moist, sandy soil, as I live very close to the ocean. Unfortunately, part of the pond is butting into a raised area, kept raised by cement blocks. They are around 60lbs, no problem really, but they used sharp granite pieces as a base layer behind the cement, under the cement, and under the dirt. I need to get rid of every last one of them, which is tough, but doable. Thatā€™s e first problem that I have.

The second problem is the fence posts. My pond is going to be situated against a corner part of my backyard. The fence post there was infested with termites, and rotting away. I had to replace it with plentyyyy of problems along the way.

Here is the general start from the pond. This thread will track my progress of building it and scaping it.
DDF297B0-94FC-4A29-9306-8BC545F2055E.jpeg
B31F9079-8C44-4A3B-B260-2DEF160BDBD0.jpeg
C6C2D201-6AE5-4312-8A83-B183BC1CA17C.jpeg
04134A00-43CD-4169-A0C7-BBA91651701E.jpeg

blurk, gravel and rocks in sand sucks.

If you make the pond square or rectangular, it is easier to work out the volume of water, which makes it safer if you ever have to treat the pond for anything.

Can you put some rubber matting under the pond liner to protect it from the rocks?
If not, what about some pavers or a layer of clean sand?

The soil you dig out and be placed around the sides of the pond so they are higher than the surrounding land and there will be less chance of anything washing into the pond during wet weather.

Iā€™m using old carpet to lay under the pond as well as pool filter sand. As for wet weather, the yard is at a slope, and the pond is at the top of the slope, so my hope (rhymes)is that nothing besides the occasional pieces of dirt will fall into the pond

Unforeseen variables have made it quite difficult. A house next to mine caught fire and burned down, which makes the air smell bad. I have been wearing N95 masks inside the house and out. My sifting process for the gravel shown below.
64ECAC0B-ED4D-4FA2-B345-BB07B4D88C08.jpeg
BF96C1D6-FCD1-42CD-BAF8-878F41884595.jpeg

How did it happen?
Playing soccer. I thought it was my calf muscle which was pulling on my foot muscles such as the Plantar Fasciia. I actually went back in for 5 minutes trying to play through the pain, but it became unbearable. After 2 days after my insistence my parents took me to urgent care. They took X-rays and it looks like I have a heel fracture.

My feet, calfā€™s, and legs are not the best. I am always super tight, and it takes 45 minutes of stretching to help it. I have Plantar Fasciitis, Patela Tendonitis, Severes Syndrome, Osgood-SchlƤter, Shin Splints, and I am easily susceptible to bruising and swelling. I think multiple things happened down by my foot, as my toes hurt very much, so I think I tore a ligament or tendon as well as my plantar Fasciia. I also think the bump has been there for a while and it is naturally fused after months and months. I bet I fractured it some other time (very high pain tolerance for whatever reason) and itā€™s just getting discovered.

Something that runs in the family is Tarsal Coalition, which causes pain like Iā€™m having and is only diagnosed by a specific X-ray or an MRI. I think Iā€™m going to need to get an MRI. This still doesnā€™t explain the bump on my heel.

My feet, calfā€™s, and legs are not the best. I am always super tight, and it takes 45 minutes of stretching to help it. I have Plantar Fasciitis, Patela Tendonitis, Severes Syndrome, Osgood-SchlƤter, Shin Splints, and I am easily susceptible to bruising and swelling.
You should cycle. It causes way less stress to the bones and joints. Later when your older (in your 20s) you can run around again but while young you need to avoid running and jumping until the bones and joints have matured, because you make the conditions worse.

Cycling, walking or swimming are the safety forms of exercise when you have bone and joint issues.

So, I went to podiatry and they said that I fractured my heel between September and now, and the bone that tore off is just discovered now. The bone that tore off is a very rare injury, and it will eventually fade away. The doctors donā€™t know what I have, so they put me in a cast for 2 weeks. Hereā€™s a picture from September X-rays for diagnosis of Severes Syndrome.

The bone not torn off is circled in black - Xrays from September.
376EA780-8494-4E61-B945-64F0FFF34FA1.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back