Polypterus Endlicheri

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ghostknife

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought baby polypterus endlicheri. but he just spends most of the time in the reeds at the top of my tank. All my other polypterus sit at the bottom and he he normally sits at the top. IS this normal?

I think he might be nervous of the other fish so i am setting him up a small tank until he is bigger, is this a good idea?

It's perfectly normal for younger bichirs to hang out in floating plants, thats what they do in the wild to avoid getting eaten by predators. Even if there were no other larger fish, he would still stay at the top in the plants because its his instinct. Endlicheri bichirs are one of my favorites, but i do not have a tank big enough to house one :(. Keep in mind these are one of the bigger bichirs, and they can get around 30 inches, maybe 3ft, and he could be a danger to your other bichirs if they stay smaller then him. Also how big are the other bichirs in the tank? If they are larger then the young endlicheri, they may try to eat him.

You could set up another tank, but i dont think you need to. If he is alot smaller then the other bichirs, then i would.

As already stated its normal for young /juvi bichir to hide in plants near the surface.I had an ornate that I didn't see for months because she was living in the plants-Anne
In the wild this offeres protection from underwater predators,As well as grabbing a gulp of air when needed without expending a lot of energy and lets them find insects that have fallen onto the waters surface andone more point the water in the wild tends to be warmer at the surface

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back