Polyfill In Canister Filter

Tazzz08

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've been reading about how people are using Polyfill from places like Walmart to get clearer water.

Is there any truth to this? And if so, what should someone buy, loose fiber or quilt batting? Most posts I've read have people saying buy the Fairfield brand, 100% polyester, non flame retardant.

Also, where in canister filter would be the best place to add, at the exit? And is there any risk to the fish from the polyfill (loose particles etc...)?

Thanks for the help in advance.

I would buy some proper aquarium floss; it's available very cheaply on ebay, if you buy by the roll. The non-aquarium stuff can be risky to use.

It's best as the last layer in your filter; both so it gives the water a final polish, and so it's easy to get to, if it needs changing. Floss holds very few bacteria, and doesn't work well as it ages, so can be replaced regularly.

I Thought floss would hold a reasonable amount of bacteria...where did u ge that info..mine get pretty gunkee...I use sponge behind it in my hob

Do you know, I can't remember who it was that told me that! It was someone who's opinion I respected anyway: it might have been TTA on here.

The reasoning is, I believe, that the structure of floss isn't of a type that the bacterial film can cling to properly. Most of the gunk you see is just that; gunk, not bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back