Poisoned fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fishface11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My Dalmatian molly has been poisoned with too much clear water and is panting at the bottom of the tank Iā€™ve done a big water change the other fish seem ok but will she survive can anyone give me advice pls

did you use water conditioner to dechlorinate the new water? Was the new water about the same temperature as the tank water?

Fish are not poisoned by clean water except in certain circumstances.
As @mrsjoannh13 said, if you forgot to dechlorinate the new water, the chlorine/chloramine would have harmed her. If the new water temperature was a lot different from the tank water, it could have shocked her.

If the water had a different chemistry, that would have shocked her - such as using bottled water but switching to another brand.
If there had not been a water chnage for several weeks before this, the tank water would have changed quite a bit over that time so the new water, even if from the same source, would have been different.

As @mrsjoannh13 said, if you forgot to dechlorinate the new water, the chlorine/chloramine would have harmed her. If the new water temperature was a lot different from the tank water, it could have shocked her.

If the water had a different chemistry, that would have shocked her - such as using bottled water but switching to another brand.
If there had not been a water chnage for several weeks before this, the tank water would have changed quite a bit over that time so the new water, even if from the same source, would have been different.
Hi the problem Iā€™ve been having is just after water change maybe 3/4 days the water is turning green looking and murky so we got some water clear stuff but my dad read the instructions wrong and he put too much in ,I did a quick half water change and 1 fish died so I did another half water change and the other fish was sat on the bottom gasping for air she doesnā€™t seem too bad now ,but do u think she will be ok

Hi the problem Iā€™ve been having is just after water change maybe 3/4 days the water is turning green looking and murky so we got some water clear stuff but my dad read the instructions wrong and he put too much in ,I did a quick half water change and 1 fish died so I did another half water change and the other fish was sat on the bottom gasping for air she doesnā€™t seem too bad now ,but do u think she will be ok

I meant I used accuclear and my dad put too much in will the fish be ok I did a 50 water change I think theyā€™ve been poisoned

The stuff you added to the tank may well have affected the fish. Anything we add to a tank ends up inside the fish.

Accuclear is a flocculant designed to clump bits together so the filter media catches them more easily. It can laso affect the fish's gills. Lots more water changes are the best remedy to get it out of the water and if possible, run some carbon in the filter/separate filter.

For future reference, green water is usually single celled algae and the best way way to deal with this is two fold. A total blackout for 3 days, not opening it even to feed the fish, should kill off the algae; and the cause of the algae should be recitified or it will come back.

The stuff you added to the tank may well have affected the fish. Anything we add to a tank ends up inside the fish.

Accuclear is a flocculant designed to clump bits together so the filter media catches them more easily. It can laso affect the fish's gills. Lots more water changes are the best remedy to get it out of the water and if possible, run some carbon in the filter/separate filter.

For future reference, green water is usually single celled algae and the best way way to deal with this is two fold. A total blackout for 3 days, not opening it even to feed the fish, should kill off the algae; and the cause of the algae should be recitified or it will come back.
Thankyou but what could be the cause of the algae

That's the question

Too much light - both intensity and duration, especially if there are no live plants
Not enough light
Too much food - lots of uneaten food or fish poop on the bottom of the tank; if there are live plants, adding more fertiliser than they can use.

Yes, wrap the tank in something that lets no light through and leave it there for 3 days. Don't even make a small gap to feed the fish. That starves the algae of light and they die. After the 3 days, do a big water change to remove the dead algae.
During the three days, think about what I've said above - do any of these apply?

If there are no live plants, the lights only need to be on for a couple of hours. Leaving them on too long will encourage any plant to grow and algae are a form of plant. If there are no 'proper' live plants in the tank to out-compete the algae, the algae will flourish.
If there are live plants and you feed them too much, all that spare fertiliser will feed the algae.
Fish poop and uneaten food in the tank will decompose to make ammonia which will feed the algae. Make sure you do weekly 50% water changes and clean the gravel or sand, whatever is on the bottom of the tank at the same time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back