Poecilia cf minima

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This is a question for the experienced and "really into it" livebearer people out there. I picked up an oddity a while back - a group of 7 female and 1 male cf minima. They look more like Poecilia branneri to me than previous minima, but seem much less fragile.

If I don't breed this one, I don't expect to see them again. So far, no fry, but I now have time and space to give them their own, designed for them tank. How would you set up for them, and what experience do you have with them?

They do belong to the subgenus Micropoecilia. But all Micropoecilia species are nowadays listed as Poecilia species (just like in the past) again. I would keep them in a species tank. It seems that they do better in a species tank than combined with another kind of fish.
It does help to add some salt from time to time. But depending on what generation these might be that have been captive bred, they should be okay in just freshwater. All Micropoecilia species do occur in both freshwater and brackish waters. But again, if they are kept in freshwater for a number of generations, I'd keep them just in freshwater.
They prefer enough open swimming space but also give them plants to hide in. For they do like to hide from time to time. If they won't reproduce for a long time, you could add some salt. Thusfar, this has been a good trick for me to get them reproducing.
Nowadays, I don't keep them anymore. They're a bit hard to find overhere. In the past, it was easier to get your hands on some.

This is a question for the experienced and "really into it" livebearer people out there. I picked up an oddity a while back - a group of 7 female and 1 male cf minima. They look more like Poecilia branneri to me than previous minima, but seem much less fragile.

If I don't breed this one, I don't expect to see them again. So far, no fry, but I now have time and space to give them their own, designed for them tank. How would you set up for them, and what experience do you have with them?
Pics please! 📷

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back